• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft problem. c8.25 to d44

Outlander560

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i have an 01 xj aw4 np231 with a 5.5 inch lift. recently i swapped out my 8.25 to a d44. now my rear tom woods driveshaft is to long. I have had this driveshaft for about a year now. Would it be at all possible to have tom woods shorten it for me? Or could I take it to a place to be shortened? would that make it weaker?

On another note this might sound stupid..But we are going to re lift my brothers 96 xj ax15 np231 4.5 inches and we are putting an 8.25 (not mine) in it would I be able to give him my driveshaft? Instead of having it shortened

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. For the mean time I will put the front driveshaft in the rear but I need to fix this issue with my tom woods Driveshaft

:yelclap::dunno:
hey guys i have an 01 xj aw4 np231 with a 5.5 inch lift. recently i swapped out my 8.25 to a d44. now my rear tom woods driveshaft is to long. I have had this driveshaft for about a year now. Would it be at all possible to have tom woods shorten it for me? Or could I take it to a place to be shortened? would that make it weaker?

On another note this might sound stupid..But we are going to re lift my brothers 96 xj ax15 np231 4.5 inches and we are putting an 8.25 (not mine) in it would I be able to give him my driveshaft? Instead of having it shortened

Yes, any decent driveline shop can shorten it for you for under $100. No, it won't weaken it if done properly. This is what I had to do from swapping from a 35 to a 44. I thought the pinion length is the same between the 8.25 and the 44:dunno:

The Tom Woods would only work on your bros rig if his tcase has the same type of output to be able to couple to a double cardan shaft.

Last edited:
yea were going to put a sye in his so it will take it...but it baffles me i thought the pinion length was the same on the 8.25 and d44 or atleast close enough. I have about 1/2 inch of up travel on the slip yoke on the DS i gotta go over it..something doesnt seem right. with the 8.25 i had plenty of up travel

Back