• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can this be removed?

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
Does this thing serve any "structural" purpose? I know it holds the bottom rear seat cushion and hides the jack... But is it adding structure to the uni body at all or can I cut it out. :doh:

Oops... Pic won't load, sorry.
Basically its the metal riser that the rear bottom seat cushion hinges on to flip forward. IIRC, its actually 2 pcs...

Long as you don't want to put the seat back in, you can cut it out no problem.

It's 2 pieces, part numbers 5523 5812AB and 5523 5813AA which are around 40-50 bucks each at the dealer brand new, so worst case it'll cost you 100 bucks if you decide to put the seat back in later.

I would say in a STOCK jeep it is kinda structual. It also happens to go right above the front leaf spring pocket giving it support and it helps to keep the floor from flexing around. After some stiffeners and such, I dont see it serving that much help though.

I would say in a STOCK jeep it is kinda structual. It also happens to go right above the front leaf spring pocket giving it support and it helps to keep the floor from flexing around. After some stiffeners and such, I dont see it serving that much help though.

Yes, what he said. That piece braces the leaf sring pockets against eachother across the floor of the xj. I wouldn't cut it out unless you have the spring pockets braced some other way.

hmmm... maybe I shouldn't have said anything... on mine it sure wasn't structural, but that's because it was half rotted away :gee:

Back