• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end noise after lift

Mattster

NAXJA Forum User
XJ lift. 5.5" front 4.5 rear.
When driving you can hear a vibrating kinda crunchy, humming sound coiming from the front end. It's also make a nasty popping, clunk kinda sound when turning left but nothing when turning right. Did a 1.25" TC drop, changed the track bar, had an alignment done. This only started right after the lift. Nothing prior to the lift. I've checked over everything. Any ideas on what else this could be?

axle U joint going bad or pooched hub assembly on the right side.

I've checked over everything. Any ideas on what else this could be?

5.5" lift what control arm do you have? Whats your front pinion angle set at or look like? 1.25 tcase drop.... Have you varified that the tcase isn't slightly engaged causing the front DS to spin? Check everything again! X2 on DS ujoint/double cardan joint, wheel hubs, axle ujoints. Double check your tracbar bracket too. Those like to pop and creek when turning.

Last edited:
Adjustable control arms, not sure of the exact pinion angle. I did find that the trackbar bolt had come loose. I tightend that up and driving in a straight line it seems good. It's only making the clunky sound now when turning left only now.

Clunking when turning left is probably a bushing or joint on its way out. Mine makes like 7 of those. Some jeeps really don't like transfer case drops. It is a bandaid for a rear drive line angle, but can easily throw off your front drive line angle. I have a 1" TC drop and my first priority is a SYE.

Adjustable control arms, not sure of the exact pinion angle. I did find that the trackbar bolt had come loose. I tightend that up and driving in a straight line it seems good. It's only making the clunky sound now when turning left only now.

Check the ball joints.

Oh and check the little spacer thing between steering box and uni body. Those like to crack and cause the bolts to loosen up.

Last edited:
Ya i'm thinking the ball joints could stressed now and could be causing the noise. This literaly started after I pulled the jeep out of the garage after installing the lift

Last edited:
Back