• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper bump stop

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
96 XJ way too many miles
Last month while off road I stuffed the pass side wheel pretty deep,after event inspection reveled a bump stop broken off(more like rotted off). However there is still a piece left in the top.
Replacement Daystar stops look like they just push in ? How big of a problem am I looking at to remove the broken piece and the old stop ?
I hope I can just yank the old one out.
Advice ,comments....
Thanks

On my 2000 XJ I placed jackstands under the body and let the suspension down, then I was able to get the new one through the coil spring and just push in by hand without disassembling anything. I have no experience with the threaded ones.

I hope I can just yank the old one out.
Advice ,comments....
Thanks

If the bumpstop looks like I think it looks in my mind after reading your post, if yours is the pull out/push in type I have to wonder if you could get a cork screw in there and screw it in and just pull it straight out, if there isn't enough rubber left to get a good hand hold on.

That would probably require you removing the coil spring though.

if it's a pull out design (I don't know), you could try gently tapping a pickle fork (tie rod/ball joint tool) into the joint to help persuade it to pop out.

Flex your suspension to lengthen the spring, which will give you more working area between coils. Try to pry it out with a bar or long screwdriver. You can also apply some heat, but too much will make a melted poly mess....or rubber mess. I don't recall what year they switched from rubber to poly bumps.

From the condition of the old stop ..its a rubber type,And considering the weather were to get in the next couple of days, no extra heat will be needed.

Plan is to put jack stand under "frame" pull tire and let the axle drop,then try to pull/twist out remaining old stops. Will advise of progress,,,,

I've pulled out broken pieces for a number of XJs and just used a pry bar. Like said, droop the suspension for some room, get about a 10" pry bar and pull the old piece, or pieces, out. If the has to be split for removal, turn the pry bar sideways, smack the pry bar with a hammer and split the pieces. I don't recollect spending more than 15 minutes getting the old pieces out, regardless of the year.

Well this is a really late up-date,,,,,,
All parts of the bump-stops came out with just a gentle tug,,, new Daystar push in extended Poly stops were TOO big to go in.
Took to work along with old stop and machined them down to the same diameter,taper and groove. Poly does not machine at all,not a smooth job by any means...
Required much effort to push in, lube,all threaded rod,big washer, lots of sweat and inappropriate words got the job done,,,,,,they aint commin' out.

Back