• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing rear disc swap, can I do anything to beef up the 35 at same time?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I know most hate on the 35, but it's what I have for now, so is there any cost effective mod for any type of C-clip eliminator? I just got the parts from a ZJ for rotor swap, figure while I was in there I would change something if I could. I have heard to "sleeve" it, but I am a real Axle newb. Any thoughts? thanks

Honestly, a stock 8.25 rear would be a hell of an upgrade, even with drum brakes.

Sure, they make super 35 kits with lockers and chromo shafts, but if you are spending money, just replace it. C-clip eliminator isn't going to help you not break a weak axle shaft on the trail.

I know most hate on the 35, but it's what I have for now, so is there any cost effective mod for any type of C-clip eliminator? I just got the parts from a ZJ for rotor swap, figure while I was in there I would change something if I could. I have heard to "sleeve" it, but I am a real Axle newb. Any thoughts? thanks

Nothing you could do to improve the 35 would be less expensive than swapping in a Junk yard 8.25.
Also It is much easier to complete the disc brake swap with the 8.25 (or do any work on any axle) while it is out of the vehicle & on the bench

Last edited:
Besides needing new u Bolts , I hear there is a driveshaft issue issue/difference as well? Any one have knowledge of this. 2001 auto.

the pinion on the D35 is shorter than the 8.25. yes, you will need a shorter drive shaft. grabbing the one off of the donor vehicle is easy enough if it has the same motor/tranny/Tcase combo.

SYE is a god option if you are lifted.

Apparently the snout on the axle is longer for the C8.25 vs the D35 ... if you have any lift it shouldn't be an issue. Might not without it either, but I already have a 8.25 stock so can't confirm.
The C8.25 will need 3" ubolts

Crappy, and I've got two here (from 2000 xj auto) I'm about to toss out.
I think you'll also need to match the driveshafts yoke/seal to the output as the newer 231's used an external seal. as opposed to the earlier internally sealed output ... not sure the exact year that started though.

isnt a 2000 ish xj with the d35 pretty likely to have ABS?

People hate on the d35, but it is what it is.... DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON IT. It's fine to run on a very mild xj, untill it breaks, but the minute you spend money on it, your in the red.

all you need is a 96-01 rear driveshaft from an 8.25 equipped xj with the same motor/trans and 4wd... both tcases are the same length input to output. And new ubolts.

It will cost you less to put in a 97 or later 8.25 from the junkyard than it would for a c clip eliminator and you basically won't need to worry about the shafts unless you are extremely hard on it on 33s or above. I beat on a 27 spline open 8.25 on 33s for a year and never even came close to breaking a shaft and I've been doing the same to a 29 spline one for a year now... c clips are only a downside if you break shafts.

Pickup a 29 spline 8.25 and put the ZJ brake parts on it. I wouldn't spend any kind of currency or effort on a D35. Your call man. You can't polish a turd, but maybe you can buff it a little

I'll add I popped a 27spile 8.24 in a 2wd xj. Anything can and will break. Look at how you drive and wheel. What your end goal is 31s- 35s. If your going to swap why swap twice. But a lot of guys do it.

8.25 is a good swap. You will need a shorter drive shaft about 1.5". 3" u bolts and the spring plate. The one from the d35 can work but will need to be slotted big time

I'm personally running a eb 9" with 11" f150 drums and 1" spacer adapters. It works well but I did it becoues I had a third with busted gears and drum that where left over from my other rig.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the 35 sucks. Upgrade to an 8.25.

;)

you can get most parts you need to do the zj rear disc swap from the junk yard you find the axle at. get the disc backing plate calipers lines grab it all just in case you need any cores to swap.

depending on how much lift you have you will be fine with leaving your current ds and swapping in an 8.25 other than that you just need ubolts. I swapped my 44 in a few years ago and have been running it on 4.5 inches of lift and it's been fine.

Go 8.25 or bigger & save yourself some cash.
That '35, even beefed up, will only last till you step up to 31s & some throttle pedal.
Shame, on the other hand, can last a lifetime.

Or go get an 8.8 from an explorer. I spent 300 to do my swap and it was the best money I have spent. It comes with disc brakes already and are easily found in every junkyard.

i got my 8.8 for 50 bucks and all it needed were new brake pads works great so far but yeh after buying some brakets and new shocks and such it ended up costing me about $140 total

i agree with the 8.8 . get one for nothing , maybe with a LSD, get the 31 spline with discs.
Big shafts ring and pinion, housing, tubes, etc. call it done. do it one time... why go 35 to 8.25 to 8.8 when you can go 35 to 8.8 ?

Back