• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Vs 8.8

Dirtoyz

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried searching, but no luck so forgive me if this has been covered.
How does the Ford 8.8 compare to a Dana 44? I was told (not confirmed) that an XJ I'm looking at has an 8.8 with CroMo axles and a detroit locker. Better, same or POS? :dunno:

Nice, I hope I can work a deal with him then, this is his ad.

This Jeep has only 84k miles on it! all FOUR rotors and pads replaced under5K ago

Sitting on 33x12.5x15 Micky thompson mtz baja's with 80% tread (x 5)
Front axle: D30 with chromoly axle shafts, super u-joints, Spartan locker, 4.10 gears, ARB diff cover (with dipstick)
Rear axle: Ford 8.8 with chromoly axle shafts, Detroit locker, 4.10 gears, riddler diff cover, disc brakes

Suspension: 5.5" clayton's coils, 5" OME dual rate leaf springs, OME nitrocharger sport shocks and steering stabilizer, Iron man 4X4 Long arms (y-link)
Other: Clayton's 3 piece cross member, AA slip yoke eliminator, Tom woods rear driveshaft, Iron man 4X4 HD track bar and motor mounts, custom snorkel, beefy roof rack (I forget the brand but it cost me $350)

custom sliders (came out awesome), front winch bumper, goferit tie rod flip kit, Currie HD tie rod and drag link with 1 ton tre's, Dodge durango steering box (beefier than stock)

Probably forgetting a lot but oh well, This jeep was used as a daily driver to get around the city and for occasional weekend wheeling trips. Its a beast in the woods, handles decent on the road.

Currently has a check engine on and a couple of other small issues I don't have time to address. still runs mint though.

Last edited:
The 8.8 in my opinion is a quite a bit stronger than a 44. One need only look at the 8.8 r&p vs the 44 on a table side by side to see the size difference.

That being said, either one will be fine for 33s and both can be built to hold up to 38" tires and heavy rocks.

If you can find a stock 87 era 44 from an XJ, buy it! But they are getting kinda scarce, while an 8.8 can be found in any junkyard.

Thanks. I had an 87 Lerado with a tow package that had the 44 a few yers ago.

PastToys1.jpg

The 8.8 is AWESOME! Really the only weak point in the 8.8 is the C-clips, but there is a c-clip eliminator available to solve that issue, it also will widen the axle slightly which will help make up a bit for the fact that it is a bit shorter than an XJ D44. The locker and the shafts only make it a TON better lol. One other small issue, check if the tubes are welded to the diff, apparently they can have a tendency to spin in the diff under extreme load, and with the chromo shafts and a locker, that may become an issue as it shifts the "give point" there instead of a factory shaft... Enjoy the Jeep!

Paint

The 8.8 is AWESOME! Really the only weak point in the 8.8 is the C-clips,

c-clips don't make an axle weaker. its just a super inconvenient way to hold a shaft in place.

but as for weak points, you have spun tubes, and flimsy stock carriers. although both can be taken care of pretty easily.

I already knew about the tubes sometimes turning. I didn't know they were c-clip.
Not that this picture shows anything really, I just thought I'd post it. This is the Jeep I'm going to look at tonight.
99xj3.jpg

c-clips don't make an axle weaker. its just a super inconvenient way to hold a shaft in place.

but as for weak points, you have spun tubes, and flimsy stock carriers. although both can be taken care of pretty easily.

SUPER inconvenient I where I was going with it, makes a trail a REAL PITA. and some axles have a tendency to walk out of the tube that way leading to a whole host of other problems... Then of course all the other tools required for a trail repair that way...

I already knew about the tubes sometimes turning. I didn't know they were c-clip.
Not that this picture shows anything really, I just thought I'd post it. This is the Jeep I'm going to look at tonight.
99xj3.jpg
Lookins awesome! Also, I do love the double nuts too lmao.

Paint

How much narrower are they than stock? Shoud I be considering wheel spacers?

Less than an inch total. I'd leave it.
I think it's like 5/8" or something like that, not a big deal at all unless you are running crazy wide tires... I wouldn't worry about it at all, I only mentioned it as the C-clip eliminators add about 5/8" to each side, still not a big deal though...

Paint

Back