• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manifold bolts

Retep Draw

NAXJA Forum User
Finished welding up my exhaust manifold and cleaning the intake manifolds after getting the head rebuilt, and now i am having trouble replacing the manifold bolts. How the hell do you get your fingers in there? Tried a socket and it only seems to get the bolt there, but wont start to thread. Any tricks? I got an '89 with a 4.0L. Thanx

Find someone with really really small hands. I haven't found a special tool or anything that helps besides extensions and u-joints/swivel sockets. I learn to hate them every time I do them.

There really is no special tool. I've changed a bunch of intakes for people ('99+ intake upgrade) and unless you have small hands it's a pain. You can try sticking the bolt on a socket with something and then using an extension to reach in there. The bolts don't require a lot of effort once in so just getting them there with some way of turning them should be a start

I go through the agony of taking the heat shield off. The extra ten minutes is worth not working blind.

Just did this a few weeks ago..Swivel socket is great..Its a socket built right onto the end of a u joint..So its more compact..You can get them at sears..I tightened all of mine up while leaning over the fender,with a swivel socket and extension or 2, aimed it right under the manifold..

Back