• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready to replace my head gasket, what else should I do while I am at it?

Craigabooey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to replace the head gasket in my 97 XK with the 4.0 While i am going through all this trouble I figured I would replace my exaust manifold with the APN and replace my motor mounts. This is my daily driver and I never go wheeling so I really don't think I want to go with poly-bushings in the motor mounts. Are stock replacement mounts from autozone ok? Also is the APN manifold the way to go? I have read many write ups on these subjects but if anyone else can think of anything else important to share, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks - Craig

Stock replacements are OK, they last a couple years. Honestly if you can swing it, I would look a t a set of rubber brown dog mounts.

I went with the 1A auto header, and have been happy with it for the price.

for 50 years I have always sprayed my head gaskets with CopperCote. I also use it on 4.0L intake/exhaust gaskets. I have never had a leak.

If you have the valve cover off, remove the baffles and clean the whole thing out.

I would replace the valve seals as well as long as the valves look good. If not, have the valve guides reamed and sleeved. In NO case have the guides knurled.

I found a place that chromes the valves, making the stems a bit larger. It should make them last forever and might be easier than sleeving.

Also since you are pulling the head and are going to crack the cooling system, I probably would do a cooling system flush.

for 50 years I have always sprayed my head gaskets with CopperCote. I also use it on 4.0L intake/exhaust gaskets. I have never had a leak.

If you have the valve cover off, remove the baffles and clean the whole thing out.

I would replace the valve seals as well as long as the valves look good. If not, have the valve guides reamed and sleeved. In NO case have the guides knurled.

I found a place that chromes the valves, making the stems a bit larger. It should make them last forever and might be easier than sleeving.

Also since you are pulling the head and are going to crack the cooling system, I probably would do a cooling system flush.

What he said, plus freeze plug on back of head

Just an FYI, make sure to put the push rods back where they come from. Easiest way to keep them sorted is a piece of cardbord marked with the cylinders. Punch the rods through the cardboard to preserve the order.

As they operate, the rods/lifters/rockers all wear into unique patterns. Best to keep them sorted. Unless the plan is to replace them, which would be quite daft. All is required is a good solvent clean.

Water pump and T-stat while in there too. New head bolts.

Hard chrome is great stuff!!!! I use to sell the equipment.....

Back