• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with steering problem

Reverend Jim

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched, answer not found. I hope you guys can help. I have a '98 XJ with 4.5" lift and 33's. Lately my steering feels really "tight". It's not binding, it just does not return to center after a turn anymore. I checked the play in the gearbox, that's ok. Had alignment checked, it's in spec. I put the front up on jack stands and greased all fittings to be found. I started it up and turned the wheel, even with no load on the front end it is difficult to turn. Nothing is binding that I can see from underneath, but there is a definite drag on the system. Could this be a bad gearbox or p/s pump? Any ideas on where to look, or other insight to the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Vehicle spec's: 98 Xj, 4.0l, AX15, 4.5" lift, D30, 8.25, 4.56 gears

Caster is set at 6.2*, Toe is at 0. I didn't try to turn it all the way to one side to listen, good suggestion. I will go and check.

Just tried turning lock to lock and pinning it. No noticeable change in pump noise. You can barely hear it, and when you crank on it at full lock it doesn't get any louder.

I think you should have more toe-in, about 1/16-1/8", and that the ball joints should be checked.

Just tried turning lock to lock and pinning it. No noticeable change in pump noise. You can barely hear it, and when you crank on it at full lock it doesn't get any louder.

Being a steering guy (I have rebuilt and tapped over 100 steering gears) if there is no noise when you go full lock, it pretty much as to be the pump from my experience.

Thanks Old Man.(PM sent). Tim, the ball joints and every front suspension component are new as of March, including the unit-bearings.

Problem solved. The adjuster screw on the top of the gear box was broken off inside and the piece was wedged against the shaft causing the heavy drag I was feeling. (How that happened I'm not sure). $2 at the J/Y and it turns like new again. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Jim

Back