• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle breather vent

95XJ_Cbiscuit70

NAXJA Forum User
Vent for axle appears to go into unibody frame at rear axle. I looked in the FSM and there is no mention of it in the rear suspension/axle section.
Where does the vent line go inside the unibody frame?

Has anyone come up with a better way to vent the axles by extending the breather up higher? Front seems easy enough as you can run up to underside of hood yet rear doesn't seem to provide any decent options.
Thanks

Been running these for years now with zero problems.

Only problem I have heard of is folks with arb's. If the airline leaks, it will force air/oil up the air line and clog it up.

I run a detroit/grizzly combo so don't have this problem.

DiffBreatherBellows.jpg

Been running these for years now with zero problems.

Only problem I have heard of is folks with arb's. If the airline leaks, it will force air/oil up the air line and clog it up.

I run a detroit/grizzly combo so don't have this problem.

Where did you pick these up?

They look like the devices plumbers use to block off and test pipes, if so I imagine a plumbing or home improvement store in the plumbing isle.

Is that what it is?, and the proper term is bellows? Like a blacksmith's tool?

John

I thought the bellows were a good ideal till I found my axle full of water! Think about the volume of air in the axle compared to the volume of the bellows. If the axle is hot and you submerse it in cold water, the axle will be under a vacuum looking for air. There is a possibility of sucking water in thru the axle seal! This is only my option and if you have had good luck with bellow, good for you.I like the idea of a sealed axle, as for me after I removed the bellows I ran my vents as high as I could and put a filter on it. You can get small breather filter from Summit

The bellows will pop if an ARB leaks air into the housing. They will also pop from normal driving as the air inside the housing get's hot and pressurizes the housing. If you have good axle seals, the bellows will go buh bye.

Mine goes no further than the axle tube. Just make several coils of tubing and zip tie them together with the vent cap on the end. You would literally have to roll over 3 times under water to get anything back into the housing.

mine (including the transmission and transfercase) all get routed into the engine bay just above the firewall. if water gets in them there, those things are the least of my problems.

My vent on the rear axle runs up behind the trim panel behind the spare tire mount inside. If I get water in that then I've turned it into a submarine.

Back