• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it the head gasket?

Craigabooey

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my 97 4.0L XJ has has cooling problems for a while now, when ever I run the a/c and it is about 80 degrees out. The temp slowly rises until the temp light comes on and the needle pins to the right of the guage. I have replaced the water pump, all the hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, heater core, (when I did the a/c evap) radiator, radiator cap, and I completely flush and reverse flush probably every six months, because if I go longer the coolant turns to foamy brown cappachino type mud. Lately, the coolant has been boiling out of the overfill tank, and again it is brown mud. Today it really started running like crap and a little smoke was coming out near the center of the intake/exaust manifold(s). I guess the last thing is the head gasket. Does any of this sound familiar? It has about 98,000 miles on it. Any tips on removing the head? I have done pretty extensive work on cars so I am not worried about being able to do it, just want to know if there are any tips. Thanks!

Craig

yes, sounds like a head gasket to me. what happens at oil change time, does the oil look muddy/foamy like the coolant?

Yep, sounds like a head gasket and or cracked head or block, but most likely the gasket. The block and head are hard to crack.

Would a low compression numbers indicate a head gasket failure??? I don't think so.

It is easier to do, and would indicate a problem, a problem that may be a head gasket failure, a need to remove the head and do repairs.....and yes a possible ring seal problem......But it would make sense to do both at some point.

Yes low compression numbers can indicate a head gasket failure. Compression can be lost through cuts or abrasions between two cylinders or water jackets.

Yep, I had 45 psi in #4 and #5, and no other signs of a head gasket problem, the gasket was blown at the narrow spot between cylinders 4 and 5.

Back