• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Multiple coats of Durabak? UV oxidizing?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
Working on finishing touch planning on my MJ buggy,
And I'm about 99% sure I want to go with Durabak in a tan color to coat the floor of my cab
Along with the dash vinyl.

I will be rolling it on with a textured 3" roller, my questions are:

-Will multiple coats stick letting each coat dry in between applications?
-Does the UV protectant still break down over time and the finish begins to dull and look chalky? Or is this only a factor with the non-UV type?
-Are the colors shown on their website look pretty true to the actual color when applied?

I really can't wait to finish this damn thing :)
35db1764.jpg

Let me know how it goes....

Do u think white will get discolored and dirty super fast?
They make a "sand" I think it's called, it's a light color that prob wont show nearly as much crud. Just a thought....

I'm only doing maybe a 5x5' area, so I'm gonna go thick.
Good luck

Typically you can recoat any type of coating once it has tacked up enough that you don't get any on your finger if you touch it. UV inhibitors will still break down but it takes much longer then something without any. For instance clear coat on a car, after a while it degrades and breaks down but typically its a 6-8 year process for typical UV inhibitors. As far as color goes it depends on your monitor, some monitors display color different then others your best bet is to find a paint distributor that handles Durabak and look at a chip book in sunlight. For the most part your monitor shouldn't be off too much. Hope this helps

Working on finishing touch planning on my MJ buggy,
And I'm about 99% sure I want to go with Durabak in a tan color to coat the floor of my cab
Along with the dash vinyl.

I will be rolling it on with a textured 3" roller, my questions are:

-Will multiple coats stick letting each coat dry in between applications?
-Does the UV protectant still break down over time and the finish begins to dull and look chalky? Or is this only a factor with the non-UV type?
-Are the colors shown on their website look pretty true to the actual color when applied?

I really can't wait to finish this damn thing :)
35db1764.jpg

You can call or email Durabak and request samples of any color. Duraback is the best non slip product you can buy. I was in the Coast Gaurd and the decks of our rescue helicopters and boats were done in Durabak. I did the bed of my Nissan Frontier with black and it still looks good after 7 years a little faded but I did not use any UV. You can also get it mixed with a fire retardent.

Back