• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bushwacker flares

I have them and they are made of plastic, no fiberglass in the Bushwacker brand flares. There is another bushwhacker look-a-like brand called Napier that makes flares made of fiberglass. The fiberglass ones ARE NOT made by the Bushwacker brand. Bushwacker has a bad reputation in XJ community for cracking and ripping off easily on the trails. I have installed quite a few sets and it wasn't until I got my set of flares that I noticed they changed the plastic compound they use to make them and they are now MUCH more flexible and will most certainly resist cracking and ripping. I love my bushwhackers and they are worth every penny. But their new flat fender flares are really nice too!

im gonna have to agree that the new bushwackers are quite durable, hell I ran over one in my jeep once and it was perfectly fine. But yes they are made of plastic not fiberglass

Seem fairly stout to me. ;)
FlatXJ_3.jpg

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.c...product_info&cPath=284_1423&products_id=90004

160lbs is not 4000lbs. judging by the lack of straight pannels on my heep, i dont think they'd last long.

I really like that pic of me standing on my BW flat flares (thanks for posting it Serious Offroad).....Anyways they r pretty strong and i hate to say it but if u do any hard wheeling then i wouldnt waste the money on them. Iv actually took mine off and cut my fenders alittle more and then bedlined form the top body line down...and BTW they are made from a Dura-Flex Plastic

I like these because...

These do not require attaching anything to the rear passenger door on the 4 door XJ, I like that "non-split" look so I plan to give the Faltty's a try...

images.ashx

It's good to hear the current offerings are tougher than before.

160lbs is not 4000lbs. judging by the lack of straight pannels on my heep, i dont think they'd last long.

My drivers rear quarter is buckled where I slammed it on the red trail at wf this year. The flare is fine. I unbolted it and threw it in the back of the jeep for the rest of the day so I didn't lose it.

I was impressed. I slammed it hard against a rock face and the only thing that pulled out was the screws that hold the bottom of the flare on.

But maybe I don't go where you go. :dunno:

My drivers rear quarter is buckled where I slammed it on the red trail at wf this year. The flare is fine. I unbolted it and threw it in the back of the jeep for the rest of the day so I didn't lose it.

I was impressed. I slammed it hard against a rock face and the only thing that pulled out was the screws that hold the bottom of the flare on.

But maybe I don't go where you go. :dunno:
i can see them handling a straight-on impact, but i was more concerned with ripping it off. sometimes you have to squeeze around a tree, rock, or dirt. we get big ruts out here, lots of times you have to drive in them, extremely off cambered, and you're pretty much running the side of your jeep along the decomposed granite. my tires stick out a bit so i barely get my body, but big flares i think would be a different story.
i know people who wheel and have ran them for years, but it seems like most of them had to at least reattach them at some point, and/or repair them.

The bushwackers on my 96 all have stress cracks at the screw heads leading to the edges. The rf has been hit several times. ABS cement and some metal plumbers strap/screws worked good to repair the large cracks.

I'm not talking about the old ones that you screwed into the fender, I'm talking about the new flat ones. They have a completely different mounting system.

Are they the be all end all? No. Are they a quality piece? I think so. I didn't rub one up against a rock, I threw the jeep into it and slammed it into the side of a rockface. If that doesn't break the plastic or rip them off the jeep, I'd say 99% of us are going to be happy with the product. I'm talking from experience and some of you guys are speculating without even seeing the product.

If you're in the 1%, congrats. Buy a buggy and you don't have to worry about fender flares when you're out doing all that hardcore wheeling.

I'm not talking about the old ones that you screwed into the fender, I'm talking about the new flat ones. They have a completely different mounting system.

Are they the be all end all? No. Are they a quality piece? I think so. I didn't rub one up against a rock, I threw the jeep into it and slammed it into the side of a rockface. If that doesn't break the plastic or rip them off the jeep, I'd say 99% of us are going to be happy with the product....

Good enough for me! I'll pick them up next pay day!

Back