• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Body Spacers: The Facts!

X E Ryder

NAXJA Forum User
Alright let me preface this post with; I'm here to learn from the experiences of other members here, and document my own experiences for the benefit of others.

Opening the TB Spacer "can of worms" could get ugly, but let's not let it. When I was road racing a Charger R/T, I cornered Air raid about the TB Spacer for that car, and they were unable to provide ANY Proof that it did anything other than make a "pseudo" blower whistle noise.

Oddly enough, the "seat-of-the-pants-" dyno seems to always report that they DO help.

Can Anyone here post a with and without dyno sheet showing any realized result from any brand TB Spacer? What about consistent MPG increases?

If you can , I will be happy to buy it! Until then, I worry this is another big seller that our members often put their hard earned money into with no realized results.

310-510-LG.jpg

Thanks!

You don't need a dyno slip to know whether this is a good investment or not; it's not. I hate to admit this, but I bought one of those several years ago. It makes a whistle, and that's it. Anyone who says their butt dyno indicated a power gain, or their mileage improved, is a liar.

I don't have facts...only a hunch. Here's my feelings about cheap programming chips and TB spacers... Considering the extremely low cost of manufacturing associated with each, Chrysler would have definitely opted to pay the extra $20 or so per vehicle for noticeably improved MPG, HP, etc. Why? Because it increases the marketability of their products.

i put the spacer on my 87 reix powered xj. 0 nada performance increase no increased mileage nada.. waste of my money. biggest power improovment i did was reman fuel injectors.

i've never ran one, but i've always thought that theres no way they can actually do crap. i think installing one and hearing the whistle from it creates the placebo affect in which people think they are gaining power when in fact they are not. heck, if they made them so they didn't whistle as much people would still probably think they gained power just from knowing its on there.

the spacer served a purpose once long ago when it was used to seperate a Carburetor from the intake manifold creating a slightly denser air/fuel charge ... it didn't equate to a huge gain but it was a gain when 1/10th of a second mattered ...

Skip forward to the modern FI engine and all the TB is passing is air ... a spacer will have no effect on that air temperature, nor will it do anything further than making the air travel the length of the spacer. It's really only increasing the overall size of the plenum which on today's engine is not something to be considered beneficial as it will have a the effect of slowing the air velocity (albeit to such a minimalistic extent as to be completely unnoticeable either way).

It's a gimmick. might as well add one of those venturi pinwheel doo-dads while you're at it, and some magnets to your fuel lines ... 'cause it'll all add up to 100mpg dontcha know.

You'd have a better result putting your air filter housing in a cooler of dry ice.

I don't have facts...only a hunch. Here's my feelings about cheap programming chips and TB spacers... Considering the extremely low cost of manufacturing associated with each, Chrysler would have definitely opted to pay the extra $20 or so per vehicle for noticeably improved MPG, HP, etc. Why? Because it increases the marketability of their products.

Yea, I have to say it would be hard to argue this point.

Back when we still had Throttle Body Injection, and fuel was introduced in the TB, this spacer might have been able to perform a function, but even as Air Raid's website shows, they are stirring up Air with Air! So I was confused as to just what we were mixing (other than BS?). LOL

throttle_spacer.jpg

Thanks to those who replied.

^^What Talyn said.

TB spacers are good for one thing. Separating someone from thier hard earned bucks. The theory goes that it will increase the plenum volume. Do The Math. There is only an infinitesimal increase. As for the "produces a swirl" claim, you have got to be kidding my. Even if it did and I seriously doubt that they can actually do this, what would be the point? As soon as the air charge enters the manifold, it encounters a series of bends. In the case of the Renix and early HO manifolds, 90 degree bends. These bends will destroy any sort of "swirl"

And... We run Fuel Injected Engines. Keeping the air charge on a vortex (swirl) is preferred if you have a carburetor as it will reduce fuel film cling in the manifold. But on an FI engine?

There is no advantage to a TB spacer. None at all...

CAIs will help provided they draw outside air and are equipped with an appropriately sized filter. The cooler air charge will increase Hp and the math is out there for anyone to look up.

i have to totally disagree with all you guys you have no idea what you are talking about.

my throttle body spacer LOOKS sensational when i lift the hood, all shine and red, it has to be faster

you guys have no imagination

ok ok just kidding

i have to totally disagree with all you guys you have no idea what you are talking about.

my throttle body spacer LOOKS sensational when i lift the hood, all shine and red, it has to be faster

you guys have no imagination

ok ok just kidding

can i interest you in an electric supercharger? :rof:

Back