• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add a leaf

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
To start with I have never personally done an add a leaf lift but right now on my 93 XJ 4.0/AX-15/D30/8.25 I am running brand new (less than 10k on them) HD leafs. I want to go with the 3 inch AAL from Skyjacker with Nitro shocks. I know the argument against AAL lifts is that they sag over time especially when you use your old saggy leafs. Would this still be the case with brand new leafs?

A severely sagged stock leaf spring will be harder on any AAL than a stock leaf spring pack in decent condition. That is simple physics and plain common sense. Success with an AAL lift can, and will, depend on the condition of your original leaf pack and with the AAL type used (short overload leaf type or a long full length leaf), and brand name of the AAL. A short overload type AAL has to very stiff to lift the rest of the saggy stock leaves. I think the first Cherokee AAL kits were the short overload leaf types, and this may be where the bad ride, quickly sagging, Internet mythology stories started. A Short Leaf/overload leaf AAL also concentrates its lift in the area of the original stock main leaf that is already under stress and prone to sagging, near the spring eyes. A Full Length AAL on the other hand, spans between both spring eyes and reduces the weight load each leaf below it has to carry. Spring sag usually begins at the ends of the main leaf near the spring eyes, and progresses to the smaller leaves flattening them out. XJ Cherokee factory original leaf springs are well known to be prone to sagging even with 100% street use. The spring rate or stiffness of a full length AAL will be less than a short AAL. It will ride a little more firmly than stock, but shouldn't be objectionable with good quality shocks.

A point to remember is that no matter what type of lift you use, you are still required to extend your bump stops. Over flexing any leaf spring will cut its lifespan dramatically, no matter what type of lift you install. Leaf springs simply cannot deal with the stress of over-flexing.

Ride stiffness is more dependent on your choice of shock absorbers and the brand name of the lift parts you install, than on the actual type of lift parts, AAL vs brand new lift spring pack. The cheaper brands of lift parts have a tendency to be more stiff riding. All lifted vehicles will ride differently than stock and you should expect some compromises and/or changes in ride quality when driving a lifted Cherokee.

Lift blocks contribute to axle wrap and are the least desirable lift option. Lift blocks are also the most likely lift option to cause excessive leaf spring sagging due to the addition of axle wrap to the lift equation. An AAL does not contribute to axle wrap and will actually help prevent spring wrap.

I have owned or helped my buddies repair or install all types of lift. Our local Cherokee club has 14 lifted rigs and I have owned and built 3 lifted Cherokees and a lifted CJ-7. My XJ started with extended shackles on factory stock leaf packs and so did one of the local XJ's. A 1 week long 4x4 trip proved that the extended shackles will sag and ruin the stock leaf springs very quickly. With a replacement lift spring that is designed to handle the extra flexing and load carrying of an off road trip, extended shackles are just fine and actually help smooth the ride and increase the flex. One of the local XJ's had 2" lift blocks and not only did the leaf spring sag, it went S shaped from axle wrap and then it cracked the main leaf in two. We recently built a bastard pack for another Cherokee using an S-10 spring pack and the original Cherokee Main leaf. This set up works well on the road and trails and gives a little over 4 inches of lift. It gives a smooth ride and reasonable flex on the 4x4 trails. You can vary the lift height achieved by using fewer S-10 leaves or by mixing and matching S-10 and XJ leaves. Another XJ with a 3" AAL and and extra stock Cherokee leaf flexes and rides very well and has not sagged at all.

I ran a Full Length 2.5 " AAL from Rubicon Express on my Cherokee with some un-sagged stock leaf packs along with an extra stock leaf. That netted me a little over 3 inches of lift. I ran this lift on two different week long trips to Moab, a week in the central Colorado Mountains, and regularly hauled 300+ lbs of cargo. It did well on the trails and never sagged in the least in the 3 + years this set up was on my Cherokee. It was maybe 10-15% firmer than stock, but it was smooth on the roads. My current RE 3.5 Replacement Leaf Spring packs are smoother and flex better than the AAL but they also cost much more than the $100 total cost I spent buying and installing the RE 2.5" AAL.

The brand name of products you choose for your lift will have an effect on its lifespan and on the quality/stiffness of the ride, both on or off road. The only way to make lift parts cheaper is to reduce the quality of the materials used to make those parts.

Your lift decision should be based more on your budget, and performance goals, than on any Internet mythology. If your leaf springs are in good condition, an AAL is a reasonable choice to add lift and will meet the needs of most 4x4 users.

Last edited:
Thank you Tim. I was planning on Skyjacker springs and I have had very good success with their full-leaf kits. I have read about all the budget boost/bastard pack solutions but I am unsure of their longevity. Actually stiffness of ride is what I prefer. This is not my rig so no extreme flexing or anything.

IF you want to do it again in the future go ahead. I went to full leaf packs from bastard packs. Worth every penny!

Great write up tim, Flexd is right, full leaf packs are the way to go

Seconded. As a second-time XJ owner who's finally getting ready to pull the trigger on a few of the mods he's been dreaming about since he had to ditch his first XJ, this was really helpful. Seems like, once you start looking into the options, there are sooooooo many options out there that trying to weigh the pros and cons of each and all of them can get really, really overwhelming.

So, in other words . . . thanks!

Your lift decision should be based more on your budget, and performance goals, than on any Internet mythology. If the leaf springs are in good condition, an AAL is a reasonable choice to add lift and will meet the needs of most 4x4 users.

I have installed 3-4 AAL, and built as many S-10 bastard packs for myself and other local XJ owners. They all meet the needs and goals of the Cherokee owners, fit within the budget, and none have sagged yet.

Since not everyone can go from a stock XJ to 6-8" of lift with long arms, I expect that most lifted Cherokees have had, or will have, more than one set of lift springs installed.

I had a 3 inch AAL from skyjacker on my first xj for about 7 years with maybe a half inch of sagging when I put on shackle relocation brackets. I didn't do a lot of wheelin but many heavy camping trips were made.

Your lift decision should be based more on your budget, and performance goals, than on any Internet mythology. If the leaf springs are in good condition, an AAL is a reasonable choice to add lift and will meet the needs of most 4x4 users.

I have installed 3-4 AAL, and built as many S-10 bastard packs for myself and other local XJ owners. They all meet the needs and goals of the Cherokee owners, fit within the budget, and none have sagged yet.

Since not everyone can go from a stock XJ to 6-8" of lift with long arms, I expect that most lifted Cherokees have had, or will have, more than one set of lift springs installed.

Mine never sagged, I've had AAL's and bastard packs but they do not ride as good as a good pack like my OME's. Since mine sees DD use 90% of the time, I wanted a good ride. Yeah, AAL's and bastard packs do their job but at the sacrifice of ride quality.

Back