• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running weird issue?

Alboy97XJ

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
97 xj 4.0 Aw4.... Have an issue where I'm driving at any speed and the jeep feels like it loads up... Give it more throttle and it clears up for a sec then starts to bog agian..... Check engine light is on but a scanner wont read the obd port.... Been this way for a while.... Light has been on for a while which I thought was caused by speedo stopped working..... Today i did a full tune-up to it and replaced the tps and no change.... If I'm at full throttle it rums fine.... It does it worst when its cold...... I have a cracked header.... Would a exhaust leak cause this? My next idea was to replace the Cps...... Any imputed would be great....

try running some fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank. a bad CPS would cause it to not run at all, I highly doubt that has anything to do with your problem. it sounds more like a clogged or leaking injector to me. run the jeep for a few minutes then pull the plugs and see if any of them looks like it is wet with gas or smells stronger like gas than the rest of them do. it could be that one or more of the injectors is leaking into the intake and dumping gas into the cylinder. this would explain why it runs better at full throttle, because at higher RPMs the engine is able to use all the extra gas.

...... I have a cracked header.... Would a exhaust leak cause this? ...

Yes. So will a faulty O2 sensor or a faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS). It seems to run right at full throttle, because all sensor data inputs are ignored at full throttle.

Test your CPS.

Back