• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C question

DaveNJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my A/C blows not cold (91 XJ, 4.0L, AW4). I went to add R-134 (yes, it's been converted years ago) and it won't take any. I opened the little valve stem half way, the clutch seems to be engaging, but nothing flows. The gauge reads zero pressure.

I bought one of those AC Pro bottles with the nice hose/gauge setup.

Is it so low that the compressor has shut down?

What to do?

If the gauge reads 0 pressure it's not on the quick connector all the way.

Try pushing down on the connector and see if the gauge reads pressure.

There is pressure in system if the clutch is turning compressor when a/c is on.

When you unseat the low side valve the gauge should read 20-40 psi with a/c on.

I don't know how many turns half way is but you want to turn the valve stem clockwise only about one to one and a half turns.

Took a while to figure that one out! I wish the Chilton's book would have said that.

Half way is about 2 turns btw. The only thing I can think of is the "valve stem" for lack of a better term, is stuck and won't open. This system has already been converted so what you really have is an adapter fitting on top of the factory fitting. So what I'll do is take off the adapter and clean it and reinstall it.

Any other thoughts as to why it won't take refridgerant?

Perhaps your expansion valve is plugged or going bad. Were your service valves clean before trying to service with freon? Has the system been evacuated to remove any moisture? When the compressor is running is there a difference in temp of the a/c lines before and after the expansion valve?

Back