• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RK Flex Joint in UCA axle side always has slop

Elmateo487

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

What am I doing wrong? I am starting to hate these joints. These are them

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...L-Hu4Q&usg=AFQjCNH1y9gSHsV8C-wW5JuBPv4OaIGelg

Anyways. I had one in my UCA for my 3 link, and it was old and shot so it had play in it. I bought a new one, and put it in, and it has play! When I put it in reverse my pinion angle changes. The bracket itself does not move, rather it seems like the joint inside is moving around. I don't understand.

Anyone use these? Thanks

Matt

The allens feel like if I kept cranking down on them they would eventually just snap. The outer metal ring just starts to bow inward slightly.Feels like there is no stopping point to them. I don't know what exactly you mean by preload. But it sounds like it would be possible to overly tighten these things.

I'll see if I can't grab some pictures.

Is something wrong with my passenger side UCA mount? Both of these joints have fallen apart in the same way. It looks like the hole isn't flat. Rather bent in.

I can't seem to find a stock picture of one.... but the hole doesn't look the same as the driverside UCA mount.

I put the 3rd link on the pass side because I liked the more room. I had the pillar reenforced and gusseted.

IMG_20120622_130212.jpg

IMG_20120622_130202.jpg

This is the driver side UCA mount. See how it has a metal ring protruding from the hole? While the pass side does not have one?

IMG_20120622_130310.jpg

The BRAND NEW JOINT, that I put in yesterday fell apart like this.

IMG_20120622_130741.jpg

and this is how the metal plates have bent

IMG_20120622_132137.jpg

Hum after some thought... It looks like the RK joint is made for the drivers side mount? and wouldn't work for the passenger side bracket. Because the rubber bushings have a wall to press against? Instead of just expanding and eventually breaking?

Anyone?

Im glad i found this im in the process of putting rk's links on mine. ill be running a hp44 with tnt's truss now im secongyessing using those joints.

Matt that metal ring is the "housing" that the rubber bushing is actually in. Look at a picture of a bushing to see. the whole thing presses into the axle part....

Matt that metal ring is the "housing" that the rubber bushing is actually in. Look at a picture of a bushing to see. the whole thing presses into the axle part....

Can't be. Because that metal ring is much wider than the stock hole. It clamps down to the outside of the hole. And since there is no inner sleeved wall... The bushings has nothing holding it in and busts.

Edit: never mind I see what you are saying. You are talking about the driver side.

Im glad i found this im in the process of putting rk's links on mine. ill be running a hp44 with tnt's truss now im secongyessing using those joints.

Yeah they will not work on the passengers side. When re reading the joints description it actually says that in cryptic wording. You would need something like this...

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/images/product//currie/ce9102k.jpg

You cut the top of the passenger bracket off, and slide that piece down into it, then weld it to the bracket (not the axle thankfully) Then you can use a currie or RK joint or whatever.

The other joint that was mentioned is for LCAs right? So not the same

I believe the answer to the question of why this doesn't work right is in the product description. It specifically states that the product was designed for the CAST mount, not the stamped steel side.

In the pix you can see that the steel side has no inner support, and may not as thick as the Cast side.

ce9112m2.jpg

Currie makes these
Part #: CE-9112M2
Our Price:$45.95
Description: This is the specially machined Johnny Joint® rod end out of our CE-9102K front end housing kit. This joint's outer shell is machined to 1.795" o.d. with a flanged edge and is designed to be driven into the bushing bore on the gear case casting side of the TJ/LJ/XJ/MJ Dana 30 or 44 frontend housings to replace the stock rubber bushing. Features a 1/2" thru bolt hole and includes a 1/2" greasable bolt.

Currie makes these
Description: This is the specially machined Johnny Joint® rod end out of our CE-9102K front end housing kit. This joint's outer shell is machined to 1.795" o.d. with a flanged edge and is designed to be driven into the bushing bore on the gear case casting side of the TJ/LJ/XJ/MJ Dana 30 or 44 frontend housings to replace the stock rubber bushing. Features a 1/2" thru bolt hole and includes a 1/2" greasable bolt.

I looked at these at one time too.. Not designed for PS upper bushing on axle. As well as RK joints. Everyone makes a joint for driverside just not passanger. (that is a direct replacement any ways) Currie makes this for the passanger side.

ce9102kt.jpg
Part #: CE-9102KB2

ce9112m2.jpg

Currie makes these

Upper link on an XJ, and on the RK kit, is 9/16 (or 14mm), not 1/2". And I'm not sure I'd trust a 1/2" bolt with a hole drilled down the center on a 3-link.

Hmm Thats odd man I would definately call up Rock Krawler and ask whats the deal because I have their old style 3 link with that same joint in my front axle and it hasnt had problems at all..... its almost 6 years old now maybe more.

Back