• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Frame Upgrade Questions

whodatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4-door 98 XJ w/ HO 4.0L that's in some serious need of some frame work:
- There are cracks in the driver side frame rail fore and aft of where the upper track bar mount is attached.
- And apparently, yesterday, when I was getting my heep (and all the mechanical work I've done on it) inspected at the local dealership, the steering box ripped completely off the rail as they were moving it around the parking lot.

I have been planning (needing) to do these upgrades for a while. But, as she often does, the heep has decided to make her own schedule. So, time to pull the trigger:
- I've been eyeing a full set of the H.D. Offroad Engineering Frame Stiffeners on the outboard sides of both driver's & passenger's side frame rails in combination with the JKS Mfg. Steering Brace System on the inboard sides of each rail on the front.
- I want to utilize both systems together because the frame cracks are not just on one side of the rail. In order to restore their structural integrity, the bolt-through/plate-on-both sides arrangement of the JKS Mfg. System is required.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: As currently offered, the JKS System would no extend far enough back down the frame rail to effectively "sandwich" the portion by the Upper Track Bar Mount where the cracks are located.

Are there any suggestions, ideas, etc. as to how I should pursue this?
Should I be thinking of something else entirely?

Thanks for the help!

ps - I will post pics of this issue as soon as I can get access to the heep.

Post pictures of all the cracks that you can find. It sounds like it might be ready for the trash heap.

Um, no. Unless the unibody is totally rusted out, some unibody cracks can be repaired without too much issue. You may have to get creative with some steel and expand the brace you are getting but it can be done.

I heard that brian from HDO will make 3/8" frame stiffeners.

I have a 4-door 98 XJ w/ HO 4.0L that's in some serious need of some frame work:
- There are cracks in the driver side frame rail fore and aft of where the upper track bar mount is attached.
- And apparently, yesterday, when I was getting my heep (and all the mechanical work I've done on it) inspected at the local dealership, the steering box ripped completely off the rail as they were moving it around the parking lot.

I have been planning (needing) to do these upgrades for a while. But, as she often does, the heep has decided to make her own schedule. So, time to pull the trigger:
- I've been eyeing a full set of the H.D. Offroad Engineering Frame Stiffeners on the outboard sides of both driver's & passenger's side frame rails in combination with the JKS Mfg. Steering Brace System on the inboard sides of each rail on the front.
- I want to utilize both systems together because the frame cracks are not just on one side of the rail. In order to restore their structural integrity, the bolt-through/plate-on-both sides arrangement of the JKS Mfg. System is required.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: As currently offered, the JKS System would no extend far enough back down the frame rail to effectively "sandwich" the portion by the Upper Track Bar Mount where the cracks are located.

Are there any suggestions, ideas, etc. as to how I should pursue this?
Should I be thinking of something else entirely?

Thanks for the help!

ps - I will post pics of this issue as soon as I can get access to the heep.

You need to do both, plus add some 3/16" plating on top and bottom of the uni-rail in the cracked area. This will effectively eliminate the weak points in this area.

Back