• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wing Window retro-fit?

DaveNJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 91' that came with and still has the non-vented solid window. I'd like to find a pair of wing vented windows to retro-fit. Is this possible and what do I need?

I live in NorCal very near Rancho Jeep Recyclers and J & W Jeep Recyclers so a source of parts is not a problem.

Thanks.

It is indeed possible. Try to get as late as you can, because the latches on the very earliest ones are a little different. Get the whole framework, which includes the front window track. Be very careful to get one that has not rusted out the pivot at the bottom. When they wear out, the post in the bottom begins to rotate in the frame of the movable glass, and this is fatal. It will never stay open. Pass on any window that does not show good firm connection of the post to the glass. It should turn smoothly against the spring that's below the outer frame only.

Once they're in, you can get a good way toward making them leakproof if you take some time. First of all, make sure all gaskets are lined up right. If one is folded, unfold it and close the window on it, and eventually it will retrain. Coat the sealing surfaces very lightly with silicone grease (silicone only, the sort of thing that does not react with rubber) and this will reduce leaks greatly too. Finally, you can adjust the seating of the window a little by loosening the phillips screw in the top pivot, and moving the whole glass a little. If the lower pivot is loose, you can take it apart by removing the tiny roll pin that holds the latch on. Make sure you don't lose the wavy washer under the latch. The post is hollow, and inside it is a phillips screw that holds it to the glass.

Some people hate the movable vents, but I loved them, and moved a set from my 87 to the 95. Unbeatable if you lack or do not like the air conditioner.

So with that being said if one has the wing windows can I convert to a one piece window? Mine leak like crazy and I would prefer to have the one piece if possible....

Thanks for the replys. To be honest based on the possible leaks and noise, and the fact I do use my A/C, I don't think I'll be doing this conversion now.

Thanks for the info though!

lol....... We used to fix the movable wing windows at the dealer with clear silicone..... glued them shut as they leak and wind noise...or replace with fixed glass assembly....... I have the movable wing windows on my 1990 and they leak, but I dont care...love to pop them open and feel the wind from time to time........

I have the TSB recommending replacing the wing windows with stationary glass units if a customer complained of wind noise in the warranty period.

BTW Rags, I like your new avatar better than the old one. That dog one creeped me out.

I got pretty good over the years at tuning mine, but they often leaked a little, and always developed rusty frames. Didn't bother me on my old beaters, where a blast of air was worth it, but I can see why others might differ.

I've got a 91' that came with and still has the non-vented solid window. I'd like to find a pair of wing vented windows to retro-fit. Is this possible and what do I need?

Thanks.

So with that being said if one has the wing windows can I convert to a one piece window? Mine leak like crazy and I would prefer to have the one piece if possible....

You guys should get together.

It's super easy...just find a Jeep with the vented window at the JY. Make sure the windows are rolled up. Take out the panel...it's self explanatory then. Just remove the old, replace with the new. Same screw holes, same everything. Do your best to find a set with good rubber.

What did you use to condition the rubber? Baby Oil?

I have movable vents, replaced the little latches and conditioned the rubber, they seal tight

Back