• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 grand rear discs for conversion?

verberkmoesk

NAXJA Forum User
I have been doing a lot of searching about rear disc brake conversion for the XJ. i have a 2000 classic with the 8.25 that is in need of a rear brake job, and thought it would be good to upgrade to discs if i could do it cheep. Every thing I read is to use ZJ rear discs with slight modification or liberty discs. Problem is I am having really hard time finding any ZJ's, and all liberty's being parted out won't seperate brake parts from the axle. One place wanted $600 for the whole axle.
Any way I have seen numerous 99-04 grands being parted with reasonable prices on the whole rear axle. Can I use Parts from this era of Grand? there is little info on it for some reason. Has any one done this yet? And if so what was your experience?

And one more unrelated question. I am getting ready to install some Rancho 1.5" leafs that i bought used and cleaned up. I noticed the leaf eyes are the same size, while the stock ones have a much larger eye on the frame side of the leaf. Does anyone know why, and does it matter? thanks

just a thought.. try http://car-part.com/

search for a 96 Grand Cherokee "caliper".. you'll see there are a bunch for $25 (per side). Phone one of them up, and ask how much for both sides plus the odds and ends (backing plates etc).

If I had more time I'd make a business of pulling these parts from my local yard! (there are always a handful of suitable disc brake donors).

ps: I've done the ZJ swap and it's very straight forward. Don't let the "modification" scare you, it's trivial.

Last edited:
I too was looking at the 2000 Grand Cherokee rear breaks. I like the way the parking break cable enter the break shoes,....at 90 degrees instead from the front like the ZJ's do.

Like Zachandandy said, the wheel bolt spacing are 5X5. They also need 16" wheels.

Thanks for the info all. The link looks good, found a number of backing plates for sale on the site. that seems to be the part most difficult to come by. Haven't ordered anything yet but will be calling them when they are open. Anyone have any idea about the leafspring eyes?

Back