• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel bearing 89 XJ .. What to expect?

WraithKWK

NAXJA Forum User
89 XJ 4.0 4x4 AW4 dana 30 front

I thought I had a sticking brake caliper, Felt like the brake was dragging a bit and the rim was heating up.
I parked my Jeep and ordered the part. When I Jacked up the front end to take the tire off I realized that there was tons of play. I could wiggle the tire up, down, left, right.

Well that explains all the symptoms I was having.
Wheel Bearing!

My question is simply, what do I need to order?
I have never done one on a Cherokee before.
Any special tools needed
Is this one you can do in your driveway

Auto zone lists:

Front Wheel bearing
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1989-Jeep-Cherokee-4WD/Wheel-Bearing-Front/_/N-iuad6Z8oxk8

and

Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Timken-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Assembly-Front/1989-Jeep-Cherokee-4WD/_/N-iuad6Z8oy4e?itemIdentifier=199119_0_0_

the second link is what you need, unless yours is a 2wd with spindles.

Going to need a 36,, socket, and a 12pt. 13mm wrench. oh and lots of PB blaster.

Take the wheel off and hose down the axle nut, and three hub mounting nuts really well. when you re-assemble, use some neversieze on the mating surfaces, will make it easy next time.

Thanks for the heads up,
2nd link is what I thought I needed.
Sounds like I just need some anti-Sieze, the 36mm Socket and some blaster

Twelve point socket, hammer, pullers are needed. I won't do it, lol, as there are often complications on older vehicles, especially as to my XJ having many miles of salt/rust. I've done Mercs, Fords, VW's, Chevs, often in the middle of nowhere, but I tire too easily now of what should be easy, and instead it seems to have Murphy show up these days, lol.

Is that a Sears Poncho.., or a real poncho?
Check out a non-chi-com bearing at: http://mibearings.com/wheel-bearings-c-1/wheel-hub-bearing-assembly-513107-br930040-400-58000-p-103

once you clean it up and anti-seize it, it will fall apart in your hands next time.
I would hate to mess with it for the first time on the trail.

If your unit bearing wont come out, check out the trick using the power steering.

search for my "replacing the seals in your d30" writeup in the faq section, I detailed getting the hubs out. not much to that. it is easier to use your power steering to push the hub out as Souske sugested. take the top and rear bolts out of the hub, and take the front one out and turn it back in 2 or 3 turns. then have someone hold a 2x4 between the head of the bolt and the inner C and start the jeep, turn the wheel and it will pop right out.

the hard part is breaking the axle nut loose, at least for me. get a 6pt 36mm socket and the biggest breaker bar you can get your hands on (or use a good impact gun). do this before you pull the hub off of the jeep.

Yea doesn't sound to tuff, Thanks for the tips

Back