• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nitro Vs Ten Factory Chromoly Axel kits or Other?

GREATWHITEJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Need to upgrade my D30 Shafts. Broke stock stuff on my first test with lockers. These two Kits have heard good things and some bad . recomendations? if the factor ten is good dont mind only a 10 year warranty. hell I dont even know if ill have my Jeep that long. ,but do they honor it? I need to order axels in the next few days any help would be great.

http://www.rwkhaussupply.com/magent...tory-chromoly-axle-kit-for-dana-30-tj-xj.html

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_I
nfo&cPath=456_457_461&products_id=2916

Having dealt and had great customer service from Ron and the guys @ TEN Factory / Motive Gear in the past I would without a doubt purchase from them again.

Also, find a NAXJA supporting dealer.

Other than that I can't comment on D30 stuff.

well I will say, I used to sell nitro, and this is by experience only.
Nitro will want the shaft back and take a week or two to evaluate if you ever have a warranty concern.
Ten Factory handles it much nicer.

As for strength, both are extreamly comparable I think. Even though I had a few broken nitros sent back in the year I sold them, I have Never had a Ten Factory or Yukon shaft (for teh Dana 30) come back broken for warranty.

Last edited:
i would go with ten factory just because of hearing about their EXCELLENT customer service from everyone I know who has had to warranty something with them.

I've warranted a few Ten Factory axles. A quick email with a photo of the broken axle, replied to with a tracking number.

I have friends that have taken 2 months to get a Nitro axle replaced.

If I wanted a normal u-joint style shaft, I definitely would have bought Ten Factory. Heard awesome things about their customer service and they are very active in the offroading community.

That being said, I decided my best option was to go with RCV axles. No weird u-joint rotation when turning, no trail fixes to do just in case something lets go, just smooth operation and a lifetime replacement warranty. I've wheeled the crap out of them on 35's. It's funny to see people's faces when I'm trying to climb something at 4k RPM and I'm just sawing the wheel back and forth lock to lock. They are waiting for something to break, but RCVs are strong no matter what the steering angle. In my opinion, the benefits over u-joints definitely make up for the extra $200 I spent on them over normal shafts.

They have great customer service as well. I ordered a set and had an issue with the orange grease boots hitting the unit bearing bolts. They told me I had an outdated set and sent me a brand new set that week, and I could keep the old ones (which I eventually needed because I toasted my unit bearings about a year later and it tore up the boots a bit).

sunburned ,Im Sold can you give me a link for the RCV Shafts . this is exactly what I am looking for . Dont mind paying a little extra for peace of mind. I am a novice Wheeler and those stinking u -joints bind way to easy .

Been running Nitro's for almost 3 years now, no problems what so ever.

sunburned ,Im Sold can you give me a link for the RCV Shafts . this is exactly what I am looking for . Dont mind paying a little extra for peace of mind. I am a novice Wheeler and those stinking u -joints bind way to easy .

RWKhaussupply who posted in this thread sells them on his site. Might give you a member discount, I know sometimes they have sales. The guy was great when I bought a bunch of rear axle stuff from him.

After having broken aftermarket u-joint axles three times I have determined my driving style does not favor u-joint shafts. So.....I will be doing RCV shafts asap. That along with a grizzly locker (I have broken my detroit twice now and I am done with detroit for the D30) should ensure longer life from my D30. At some point in the future I will do a shaved D60 with RCV's and possibly F350 unit bearings. But that will have to wait until I have more cash to work with.

I broke 4 sets of stock shafts in 1 month last year. As soon as I swapped in my nitro shafts the problem was gone. Infact I found out my weakest link is the ring gear.

After having broken aftermarket u-joint axles three times I have determined my driving style does not favor u-joint shafts. So.....I will be doing RCV shafts asap. That along with a grizzly locker (I have broken my detroit twice now and I am done with detroit for the D30) should ensure longer life from my D30. At some point in the future I will do a shaved D60 with RCV's and possibly F350 unit bearings. But that will have to wait until I have more cash to work with.
This is logic I'll never understand.
You're going to blow big money on RCVs and a new locker for an axle you claim you're not going to keep. If you were really looking at getting a larger axle grab some stock shafts and Spicer joints and wheel the summer while throwing that D30 parts fund at the D60. Done & Done. No wasted cash or time trying to rid of stuff you can't use later on.

Now before everyone jumps on my case; I'm not advocating everyone get away from a D30 setup.

Last edited:
Is there
JeeperJohn drives his rig like he stole it from someone he hates.

Is there any other way to drive? :dunno:

I went to a 60 so I could continue do to so. Money well spent on a better axle then to keep pputting it back into something that likes to go boom.

Ok ,Did it!! Ordered a set Of RCV axles today!! I am officially married to my D30 for life . I think it would now be impossible to call my XJ a budget build with 1k axle shafts in the pipeline. . . I believe my D30 is fast becoming the super streanghth 30 . Iron Rock Full truss with inner sleeves and C gussets ,RCV Axles, The weak linm is the Guts now. Should have gone with some Cryo gears .Hope the Standard 488s and PoTrax Locker hold up with 35s. Thanks for all the feedback. Ended up choosing RWK as my vender. Robert was very helpful answering all my questions. Cant wait to in stall the new axles!
Going to give the RCVs a good test running FORDYCE 2nd week of July. If any ones down let me know. It will be me my buddy in his Sbc Wrangler 60s on 37s,and another friend in a Toyota PU 35s 530s and ARB lockers.Should be good times . last time i pulled that stunt was with junk yard RC 4.5 lift stoc
k gears and 31" tires.

Back