• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Gauge wanders..!?!

Alaskan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Greets.., not much result for me in the 'search' box. So, my Fuel Gauge Needle wandered today. From the half tank reading, the needle began to flip back and forth a few degrees, then the needle wandered to about the 4 O'clock position, then back to 12 O'clock position.., back, and forth a couple of times, as well as to the 11 O'clock position. After a few minutes of that, it settled down to it's normal position indicating a half tank of fuel.

My question involves what is the identifiable problem to trouble-shoot. The gauge? The fuel tank float? Could it be that there is a ground issue causing this problem, or what? Seems I recall the fuel level at the gauge is to be read as; E=0 ohms, 1/2=44 ohms, F=88 ohms. Just where to probe, I am unclear.., cluster in, or out? Probe the sending lead from the tank?

Could it be a mechanical issue? I wouldn't think so, but this issue must have been addressed before, and sure would like to have some guidance in order to pin-point the malfunction for proper correction.:worship:
Thanks.

i would look at grounds and check the connector for the fuel pump for corrosion.

Starion, if his XJ is an 89 as his username suggests it's not a modular assembly like yours is, the fuel level sending unit and the pump are seperate parts.

Thanks S.., and G.J. probably has me looking in the correct direction, verifying my suspicions. Will be looking into that soon enough.

Situation came up when after driving twelve miles of a severly washboarded, pot-holed dry one lane dirt road, and turned onto pavement. Figured something loosened up affecting energy, or ground.., or a simple failing of some component. Have yet to be determined.

Bang the dash gauge cluster (Be careful & don't break anything), If it wanders back up it is probably just a bit of corrosion on your gauge cluster connections.

Back