• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion seal ..

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I have looked this thread up in multiple places on here, but the threads seem to devolve into different people's ideas and techniques on how to do the replacement. I need to replace my front pinion seal. I have a 1995 cherokee sport (AW4/NP242)

What I would like to know is how do I know if my pinion has a "crush sleeve"? My haynes ( I know, not the best source) manual doesn't say anything about crush sleeves or measuring preload etc on the front axle. IT says "tighten pinion shaft nut to specified torque" which is listed as 210ft/lbs. So the procedure seems pretty straight forward and easy. After reading different people's threads though, I'm now pretty hesitant to attempt this procedure.

I searched the dana website http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/depdf.aspx?prod=AXL for some service information on the axles but I can't figure out which "30" I have!

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Take the nut, washer and yolk off, remove the old seal, install new seal with some oil around the rubber where it touches the pinion shaft, install yolk, washer and nut, and re-torque to 210. You don't have a crush sleeve in the D30.

Back