• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which A/Compressor

bdenglund

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
Ive been looking to change out my ac compressor because mine has crapped out. I've looked at NAPA, Orileys, and AutoZone. And I've noticed a broad range of prices and brands. My question is which and where would y'all get a compressor? These aren't cheap, I understand, but I also believe you get what you pay for. Any help would be great.
Thank y'all,
Bbenglund

1991 XJ
AW4
150,000 miles

IMO, stay away from anything not NAPA. I have had nothing but bad luck with vehicle specific parts from Bozozone and Oreally is just another clone. Both are out to make a fast buck. Even if the compressor from either of them come with a "lifetime warranty" the cost of the refrigerant will not be covered.

Why do you think your compressor is bad? Could it just be the clutch?

I bought my last 4 compressors on Ebay, all brand new for $35 to $85, and all are still working perfectly, since 2005-2008.

Try Ebay, www.ackits.com and www.rockauto.com

ackits has a great self help forum for AC repairs, they have an AC shop in Arizona!!!!

I never, ever buy AC stuff from Azone, O'reilys, Napa, etc, ....as they just are not AC people!!!! I get my hoses and other parts from a local wholesaler here in Houston, he is off of Telephone rd, here it is: http://www.dixieautoair.com/ These guys been doing AC work for 40 years here, they make new hoses for you for about $15 each!!! Even Custom hoses!!! The also sell wholesale!!!!

Last edited:
The way I figure, the OEM JY part is a better gamble than Autism Zone, or O'chinee
Grab the inner part of the clutch, and give it a spin, if it spins nicely, and the clutch seems ok, I would run it. You can test the clutch by bringing a small 12v battery along. I got mine from one of those worthless jumpboxes from wal mart.
If you clutch is bad, replacing it isn't that hard. Interesting design though. Wobble plate motors are used on torpedoes, worth a look if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Back