• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fast advice please?

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
So I stumbled across an 01 2wd sport with an auto (AW4?). I currently have a rusty 91 4 door, 4.0/5speed/231. How much of the 91 would easily swap over to the 01 to make it 4 wheel drive? Would the 231 bolt up if the
2wd output was removed? I'm guessing the front HP30 will bolt in pretty easy. I would just like a run down of what to expect. Tried the serches but I can't seem to find the correct wording?
Please help so I can decide if I should jump on this or not. Thanks all!:patriot:
BTW, I'm in Germany so finding a junkyard to rob parts is pretty much not gonna happen. :(

From what I have read, you will need to swap the tranny and tcase into a 2wd rig to get 4wd. Check that the '91 transmission will fit on the '01 engine output (spline and length may be different). The HP30 is a bolt-on.

tthe front axle and tcase should go in no problem. swapping an auto for a manual should go fine, but you may end up with check engine light problems and a non working speedometer. if you wanted to keep the auto you could swap the outputs, user "child9" on here did it to a transmission out of a toyota supra to get it to work in his XJ. search for the thread titled "everything you ever wanted to know about the aw4" or shoot him a PM, he may be able to advise you.

Back