• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What OEM switch went here?

39812784102_large.jpg

Pics coming! Does Mopar or anyone else make a matching rocker switch that I can put in the OE blank spot for my electric fans?

Last edited:
They should still stock these but if not they could probably be found new online somewhere or you could probably find a good one at your local junkyard.

All the major parts stores sell aftermarket replacements, and these were also used in some of the TJs (probably used in a lot of other DCPJ cars from 97+), so there are plenty around. I got mine off ebay, but they're all over the place, even OEM.

Factory part numbers were 5080861AA or 56007247, I believe. Google them and you'll find something.

edit- and then there's this. Looks like a factory switch, but I believe they wired them a bit differently (indicator only on with the accessory, no backlit symbol like a factory switch).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220668890256?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And, if you're going to buy a factory style switch, you'll probably need to buy a new bezel (which are also pretty cheap and common). At least for 97, the unused slots aren't filled with blanks like on a TJ; they actually made 4 different bezels; one for each combination of accessories. The engineer/accountant who came up with that idea should be beaten mercilessly.

Last edited:
All the major parts stores sell aftermarket replacements, and these were also used in some of the TJs (probably used in a lot of other DCPJ cars from 97+), so there are plenty around. I got mine off ebay, but they're all over the place, even OEM.

Factory part numbers were 5080861AA or 56007247, I believe. Google them and you'll find something.

Hubs97xj, I’m indebted to you. Thanks a million. Those parts led me straight to Rock Auto for a total purchase of $27.89. Again, thanks!

Yeah, you are going to need to get a new Bezel, at least on my 99 that empty spot was actually molded into the plastic and there was no easy way to remove it.

Hmmmm, it looks like the blank knocks out, does it not? Mine is a 2000 XJ

You can cut them out, but there are no clips to hold the added switch. You do not need a bezel that already has a fog light switch installed, but you will need one from a Jeep that had them initially. I paid like $13 bucks on ebay for a used (empty) 3 switch bezel. Cheaper than a run to the JY.

Back of the factory 2 switch bezel.
DSCF5936.jpg

yes previous posters are correct. And to make matters worse there are two diff. versions of that bezel. I bought a used one off another forum member I think his was a 97 (mine is a 99) and the plugs on the lighter sockets were different, and I couldn't swap the sockets easily between the two bezels. frustrating...

If you haven't ordered the switch yet I still have an extra fog light switch (as well as the rear wiper and defog switches) because I ended up buying two used bezels with switches. You'll also need the relay which I don't have for the fog lights if you are adding them to a vehicle that doesn't have them, and finally the wiring likely is not present in the nose harness (in front of the radiator) I know it's not in mine.

Realistically, the tool used to mold those bezels probably has replaceable cores depending on whether the space is to be a switch or a blank. It still leads to inventory problems, though, how many to run of what configuration. Then again, if they had knock-out spaces and molded a single bezel, they still need to be able to knock out at some point point to manufacture the right piece. I doubt that Dimestore/Chrysler would want an on-demand press taking up space on the manufacturing floor, and there's also the problem of repair parts, how does a tech in a dealership knock out the plates so the bezel still looks good?

I don't understand why they didn't just mold a single bezel, and snap in blanks like they did on TJs of the same era. I see no obvious benefit to making and stocking 4 different parts, when one of them would have worked on every single XJ produced between 97 and 01. I suspect it involves accountants.

Regardless, did a quick search; Jeepsareus wants ~$40 for a 3 switch bezel now. I'd hit some junkyards.

You can cut them out, but there are no clips to hold the added switch.

Ah, that makes sense. Bumper. :(

You do not need a bezel that already has a fog light switch installed, but you will need one from a Jeep that had them initially. I paid like $13 bucks on ebay for a used (empty) 3 switch bezel. Cheaper than a run to the JY.

I'll see if I can find one. I live two hours from the nearest JY and I didn't see one on ebay.

And to make matters worse there are two diff. versions of that bezel. I bought a used one off another forum member I think his was a 97 (mine is a 99) and the plugs on the lighter sockets were different, and I couldn't swap the sockets easily between the two bezels. frustrating....

That's good to know. I'll make sure that I stick with a bezel from a 2000/2001.

If you haven't ordered the switch yet I still have an extra fog light switch (as well as the rear wiper and defog switches) because I ended up buying two used bezels with switches.

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the switch from Rock Auto.

You'll also need the relay which I don't have for the fog lights if you are adding them to a vehicle that doesn't have them, and finally the wiring likely is not present in the nose harness (in front of the radiator) I know it's not in mine.

I'm installing the FFD aluminum radiator with the triple fan kit. It comes with a LED switch, but I wanted to have an OE factory look, hence why I'm now looking for a 3 switch bezel. The kit included the relay.

you can always get a 4 position switch panel and add an extened idle switch as well.

http://www.jeepsareus.com/p/CHEROKEE/550556632.html
http://www.jeepsareus.com/p/CHEROKEE/XIDSW.html

I might have to fork out the money and buy the 4 position switch panel. That thing is awesome!

The police package extended idle feature is neat, but it's probably designed for the OE mechanical and electric fan. I'm installing the FFD radiator and electric fans, so it's not going to work on my application, otherwise, it would be a great feature.

Thanks for the links!

I might have to fork out the money and buy the 4 position switch panel. That thing is awesome!

The police package extended idle feature is neat, but it's probably designed for the OE mechanical and electric fan. I'm installing the FFD radiator and electric fans, so it's not going to work on my application, otherwise, it would be a great feature.

Thanks for the links!

the extended idle also raises your alternator speed, and increases coolant flow. You might need the extra amps if you run all three fans at idle depending on the draw.

rockauto has brandy new OEM style switches.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1373666,parttype,4408

Back