• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which locker for Chrysler 8.25

jasonl2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
Been wanting to put a locker in my 2000 xj. It has a Chrysler 8.25 in it. Any body recommend a good budget friendly locker
For me. It currently has a limited slip diff and 3.55's. I'm kind of new to the jeep world. Any help would be appreciated.

You will need a new open carrier , So the price of a carrier and lunchbox locker close to the price of a full case locker like a Detroit, You would also have to pay to set up the gears also if you are not able to do that yourself.

If your not ready to regear but want a locker. I would throw in an Aussie or Spartain in the front and call it a day. Easier to pull your rig over obsticales rather than push your way through. IMO. Super easy and can keep it when you do re gear.

powertrax no slip... it doesnt make noise like my front aussie does. Their both good lockers tho, so ya my choice is either aussie or powertrax

You will need a new open carrier , So the price of a carrier and lunchbox locker close to the price of a full case locker like a Detroit, You would also have to pay to set up the gears also if you are not able to do that yourself.

This^^^. You are screwed with the LS carrier, but I think lock right or someone makes one for the limited slip carrier. Maybe not for the 8.25 though. That means new carrier for spartan/aussie or full like a detroit, reinstall ring and pinion, etc. I ended up putting a spartan in the front D30 instead for this very reason.

your LSD carrier will not accept a lunchbox... you will have to either replace the carrier or step to a full case locker. might as well do it right the first time and get a full case locker, that means its time to gear now too, but you got to do the front as well... this is adding up fast isnt it?

lol.

what size tires are you running now? does the LSD work? if your still around a 31 you may be able to get it to function, even if it doesnt now. id look into possible rebuild kits for your LSD and add a front lunchbox. but for some reason i feel like i read that because the 8.25 uses side adjusters you cannot simply remove the carrier to install a lunchbox (or in this case, rebuild the LSD) and stick it back in. you will need to reset the gears. i dont know, look into it. but what i was trying to say... is that if your LSD is still relatively effective, a front lunchbox and LSD rear is a very good DD/WW combo that sees street miles. you wont have to regear, and you wont feel the lunchbox in 2wd.

I have an open 8.25 I will sell if you want to throw a lunchbox locker into it then sell the ls diff 8.25. Would be cheaper than paying for a gear install. I am kinda far away though, so you could probably find one close to you.

My LSD still is pretty effective so I think I'll do what you said and put a lunchbox locker in the d30 instead. Thanks for all the input y'all

This^^^. You are screwed with the LS carrier, but I think lock right or someone makes one for the limited slip carrier. Maybe not for the 8.25 though. That means new carrier for spartan/aussie or full like a detroit, reinstall ring and pinion, etc. I ended up putting a spartan in the front D30 instead for this very reason.
Hmmmmm...no.

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.c...fo&cPath=545_1354_1363_1364&products_id=91978

Keep the factory LSD, if it's worn out a clutch kit is like $70 from Randy's ring and pinion, save your bucks for a lunch box for the front. I run a rebuilt LSD in the rear and a Aussie in the front, I've never been held back cause of it, keep all the tires on the ground and you'll be fine. If and when you decide to ditch the 31s for some bigger meats and need to regear consider upgrading to a full locker then, I'm doubtful you will.

I am sure it will be out someday but I would not expect to see it within the next year for all the people looking at a locker purchase. With that said I have always had good luck with both Spartan and Lockright.

You CANNOT get an aussie for the 8.25-29 spline!!! I had been waiting for one since last Nov and they still don't have them in stock as of last week! Couldn't get them made over seas...waiting for material...moving the machining to the US...still working on current run, and cannot swith over till its done! I wouldn't even think what would happen if something broke and and replacement part was needed. I gave up about a month ago, and put in a Powertrax and never looked back!

Back