• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Courtesy lamps all staying on

offroadordnance

NAXJA Forum User
This morning the Batt was dead and the interior lamps all stayed on while charging. I pulled the interior lamp fuse (#9 underdash)and now can unlock all doors electricaly but cannot lock them with the button. So each door and the hatch have to be locked manually. I cant get to this til the weekend and it's the rainy season which makes the locking thing a pain. I wiggled all the door switches pulled them, pushed them in and tried rotating the headlight knob around which didnt help. Anyone have any suggested quick fix? Vehicle is a 1998 limited

Thanks

Check the internals on the cargo area dome lamp. It is very common for them to overheat and melt. The pin switches in the door openings are the usual suspects, remove and inspect them closely.

The cargo lamp was burnt so I completely disconnected it from the circuit but other lights stay on. I removed all 4 N/C door switches checking that they were open between terminals when pressed and found none bad with the ohmeter. I guess next step is to unplug all 4 door switches and see if lights go out?

Note from DJ
What year XJ?
Remote control button or the one on the driver’s side door?

You left out the details regarding your Jeep, they are not even listed in your profile.

I have to ask, checked the headlamp knob position ? Twisted all the way to the right it turns on all the interior lamps. Also, check the module that turns on the dome lamps when the key-less entry is triggered.

Since you have existing electrical issues, I might also suspect a short circuit in the drivers door.

I tried rotating the headlight knob with no luck. But, it doesnt have the feel of the detent at the end of travel so it might be the switch. The remote module is in the overhead console? If so, I can try unplugging it since I didnt get the keyfob when i bought the Jeep last year

The headlight delay module is supposedly under the dash near the steering column.

standard.jpg

The remote module will turn on the interior lights upon an unlock signal from the remote and the lights go out as soon as the ignition is powered up in normal operation.

I suggest that the headlight switch is faulty. Do you feel the detent at the end of travel or, is it sort of mushy?

BTW, if you do get a fob (Ebay is the best bet) for the RKE, you must have the Dealer program the remote module to accept it. The older way does not work on a 98... My local Dealer did it for free and told me to come back when I had a real problem.

Pulled the headlight switch completely out and the interior lights stay on. Regardless, checked the headlight switch and the interior function works correct. Pulled evrry door jamb switch again and unplugged each and the lights still on. Finally, i pulled the console and disconnected all the wires and now have no interior lighting. Next morning going to work, rear speakers wont work, hit a bump 10 minutes later and they come on. I am wondering if the rear speaker wires and cargo lamp arent sharing a loom or somehow chafing to ground?

They do share a loom they run down the pass side of vehicle and up the pillar by tailgate. I think the wiring for the tailgate switch is on the drivers side tho. My lights do not come on when tailgate open not sure if i have a problem or if it is because i did not have cargo light originally.

Alldata shows a liftgate switch in the schematic running to the cargo lamp. My thinking is with the cargo lamp completely removed the switch would be out of the circuit. If there is a tailgate switch which Alldata lists no P/N it must be a mercury filled tilt switch. Don't know how a mercury switch would fail open. Thanks for the info on the pass pillar, will start from there.

Back