• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing 9"... questions

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
So I installed a 9" axle in my 95 today. Aside from the rear chassis side brake line busting, everything went smoothly. Except.... I don't have leaf spring center pins/bolts. The axle isn't staying centered fore/aft under the jeep. Are the leaf spring bolts the culprit?

Also, the rear axle is 4.88 gears and the front is 3.55. As long as it's not in 4wd is it safe to drive or should I disconnect the front driveshaft for now?

Thanks

Ya just disconnect front shaft. You need those center pins.
1- they hold the leaf springs together
2- they fit in the spring perches to hold axle in place along with the u-bolts.

Yup, you need those, mainly for in4aride's #2 reason. ubolts alone arent enough to locate and secure the axle to a specific spot on the leaf springs, they'll just slide under torque.
You need something that will fit snuggly in your leaf perches, many people buy hex bolts and round the heads, but actual leaf spring bolts are allen key heads, with a round head about 1/2" wide OD.

If the head is rounded off, how would I tighten it down? My other axle had the pins built into the spring perch, this one didn't.

You tighten the nut. If the pin turns, vice grip the head and continue tightening until it is tight. These are the same pins the factory used to put it together.

Don't use dimestore hardware. Get the right bolts.

This would also be a great time to drill out the leafs and upgrade to a larger bolt. I just helped a friend do his this past weekend, drilled the leafs out for a 7/16 bolt. If you can't find a long enough allen head bolt, a Gr8 with the head rounded over to fit the perch works great too. Do yourself a favor and get a long bolt so as much of the unthreaded shank as possible is inside the leaf.

One more question. The 8.25 axle had the spring pin with the head down (close to the axle) under the spring perch. My 9" has no spring pin. This might sound silly but it's ok to install the pin with the head up, and the thread down (close to the axle), and put the nut under the spring perch?

One more question. The 8.25 axle had the spring pin with the head down (close to the axle) under the spring perch. My 9" has no spring pin. This might sound silly but it's ok to install the pin with the head up, and the thread down (close to the axle), and put the nut under the spring perch?
Your leaf perches should have at least one hole in them. The whole idea behind having the head of the bolt on the bottom is so you can easily remove the axle and/or leafs from each other.

the old setup is correct, the setup on the 9" is weird, if the head is too big to fit in the hole, just drill out the perches so that it will work the old way.

Back