• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust manifold/header replacement

D_Eldridge

NAXJA Forum User
Last edited:
they look like the same part just one is polished. I wouldn't wrap, that's asking for trouble. If you buy a good stainless header you should be fine, if you want to go super fancy get it ceramic coated but that shouldn't be necessary.

I prefer the headers that have the bellows on the pipes for cylinder 1 and 6. I tried wrapping my last APN one and it blew out the crappy welds in less than 6 months.

I tried painting mine and it didn't turn out all that well. I used VHT flame paint or whatever it is, I followed the directions and even used their primer. I baked it as it was supposed to(using a buddies powder coating oven). The paint burned off in places and also scratched very easy during install. It looked good before I installed it though. I guess over all it is ok now that it is done burning off the rest is still there and maybe helping to keep the heat in the pipes.

I tried wrapping my last APN one and it blew out the crappy welds in less than 6 months.

[Soap Box On]
And this is why most, if not all, Header Manufacturers tell you not to wrap the header. The wrap will cause the part to retain heat in a way it was not designed to do. At best, use a header blanket and cover the bottom of the intake manifold with Lava Shield Mat to reflect the heat away.

[Soap Box Off]

weirdo, didnt you say in anotehr post that you installed the APN?

I did use the APN (and I wrapped it). It only lasted 5-6 months. The crappy welds blew out really fast. I replaced that APN with the kind with the bellows and have had it in for 6 months without issue (not wrapped).

ok cool. yeah so i won't wrap the pipes. now just have to decide on which ones to get. i was doing a little more browsing and sent a message to the APN guys about their warranty, maybe one of you can answer first, whats their warranty on their header.

If it fails you buy another header and ship yout bad one back. If they agree with your warranty claim, they send you your money back.

Do not buy that one!!!!
Get the one with the expansion joints in it.... this will alleviate any chances of future cracking due to motor mount problems, or heat cycles. I'm running this one and love it. Several other Jeepers (both XJ and TJ owners) I wheel with run them as well, and swear by them. They last, they're built well, and the price point is great too. Check my build thread, I have a complete write up and full evaluation of them on my 99. (page 4 I think)
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1077604

i got the APN about 6 months ago, no wrap, lasted pretty well so far, and ive broken motor mounts with it and it didnt crack, id say go with that, and it made my engine a wee bit torquier and sound a little better. haha

Back