• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loc-tite - Crank Flange Bolts

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm minutes away from marryin' up my new to me AW4 to my MJ. :woohoo:

I'm using red loc-tite on the flexplate bolts, should I also use it on the crank flange bolts when I put the flexplate on the engine??

Thanx

I would use blue loctite not red, that thing may need to come back apart some day and red loc-tite is semi permanant

Another vote for the 242 Blue. Just an FYI here... Generally speaking, the higher the number of the Loctite (222, 242, 680) the stronger the bond. Red, 222, is only good for number 8 and smaller hardware.

I have used the 680 (Spherical Retainiing Compound) to hold parts together without any other type of fastener. But you better be bloody serious as the parts will only come apart if they are either beaten apart, heated up to destroy the Loctite or are subjected to a Chlorinated Solvent to disolve the compound.

For the Heep, I use the Blue 242 practically everywhere with the exception of the button head fasteners as there are issues getting them to come apart later.

Another vote for the 242 Blue. Just an FYI here... Generally speaking, the higher the number of the Loctite (222, 242, 680) the stronger the bond. Red, 222, is only good for number 8 and smaller hardware.

For the Heep, I use the Blue 242 practically everywhere with the exception of the button head fasteners as there are issues getting them to come apart later.

I'm using the blue 242 on the crank flange bolts. The flexplate bolts get red 242 gel. After that things should be OK. The torque specs on these bolts are low IMHO. With the Loc Tite, I shouldbe fine, since the crank bolts were a tad more than finger tight after 180K.

I use the high strength. Never had problem getting a bolt out afterwards. Its not a permanent glue as some people think. I use the 266 on the manifold bolts and the 268 in chapstick form on other parts. Loctite does make more permanent thread lock/sleeve retainer though.

Yah, they sure do. Just for fun, track down some 680 and then try to get the hardware apart. Just do not use the stuff on your Heep. Ever.

I tripple dog dare you...

OK, I realize that I just breached dare protocol. But, name the Movie.

I've built a couple of fiberglass canoes in a mold...somehow somebody left a brush pasted to the side of the inside bow...that was 8 years ago...it's still there. I'd actually have to ruin the canoe to get it out.

Christmas Story - the scene with the tongue on the frozen flagpole.

Back