• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinion Needed

Jeepin04

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, so my transmission took a complete dump on me yesterday. I have a 01 Cherokee 4x2 with only 128,000 miles (very young). I have taken very good care of it, regular maintenance. So my question to you all is this:

Do I get a rebuilt transmission which is anywhere from 900-1500?
Put in a used one?
or
Just get rid of the vehicle and start a new?

What engine and transmission? 4.0L/auto?

I would bolt in a used transmission for a few hundred bucks (make sure to flush the fluid out of the cooler lines and replace the torque converter as well.) You might consider using a 4x4 transmission with a transfer case on it and just leave it in 2wd, you will need the factory rear driveshaft from a 96-01 4x4 with the same motor + transmission + rearend but those are easy to find and fairly cheap.

Everything bolts up no problem, 4x4 transmissions are easier to find in junkyards (at least around here), and now you are closer to a 4x4 swap if you decide you want to do one in the future. Your ideal donor (assuming a 4.0/auto) for a transmission is a 98-01 XJ, ideal donor for the transfer case if you decide to do what I suggested above is a 96-01 XJ (probably the same vehicle as the transmission, why complicate things?), and ideal donor for the rear driveshaft is a 96-01 XJ with the same engine, transmission, and rear axle.

If you want to keep it 4x2, your donor is a 98-01 XJ and nothing else needs to be changed, just bolt it in with a cooler flush, a new torque converter (or the one from the trans donor), and new fluid.

If you're positive the transmission is shot, get some actual numbers to help you decide.

Research what is available for used transmissions and how much will labor cost you to install if you can't do it yourself.

Also get a quote or two for rebuilding.

Then compare. A transmission is a component. If you like your XJ and it isn't badly rusted and the rest of the drivetrain is okay, get this one fixed. If you start with another vehicle, you might be buying somebody else's problem.

Yes it is an auto. The reason why i think its shot is because its grinds BAD when at a dead stop and wouldn't even move with the RPM's up around 2k. It wouldn't move in reverse and when it did, again with the bad grinding noises. Took it too a shop and they said that it was falling apart from the inside out. I've called 8 different transmission places and all of them quoted me between 1500 to 2k for rebuilt and install. I've called a transmission place for a rebuilt and that would run me 900 + tax if I were to do it myself. Like I said before the jeep only has 128k (which I think is fairly new still) and I must have got a bad batch. I can't afford a new car payment as I have my wifes and am expecting my second son next month. But I'm at a toss up because I'm not sure if I should dump anymore money into this thing (everything started going wrong when I put the 3" lift on lol). So I know I could do the obvious and put everything back to stock and deal with it. Or I could fix it, turn it to 4x4 (which I would love), or just get it rebuilt and leave it the way it is. I just wanted to get some other opinions, which is why I like this site because there is a lot of knowledge here.

Doing the swap really isn't hard, the worst part is the weight of the parts. All you need is your regular SAE+metric ratchet sets, plus a small list of special-ish tools: a 5/16" 6 point 1/4-drive socket and extension bars to make the driveshaft ujoint straps easier to get to, an E12 external torx socket, maybe a transmission jack to make the job a bit easier, an aluminum (the anodized ones from autozone are great) 3/8" quick disconnect tool, and a 15mm flex head gearwrench will make the job easier but isn't necessary.

At least around here, I can pick up a junkyard 4x4 AW4 for under 200 in decent shape, transfer case for 100 (less on the NAXJA local classifieds), and a rear driveshaft for 30. Figure 100-200 for tools you don't have, plus beer and pizza to trick some friends into helping or at least being there to call 911 when you drop a transmission on your face by accident.

And I definitely agree... that kind of sound from the transmission indicates it's almost certainly FUBAR.

AW4's last a long time behind some pretty rough engines. If I had to replace one, a used one from a reputable yard would be the way I would go.

There are plenty of people running around here with 200 or 250k miles on their auto and it works just fine.

Just remember, replacing the transmission will fix your no go problem, but you also need to figure out the blown up transmission problem. Otherwise, you'll have another bad transmission on your hands after you replace it.

I agree with Kastein, the 4x4 setups are very easy to find. Not so much for the 4x2 versions. Yours is an '01 so the trans needs to come from a 98 or newer as there are two internal speed sensors in the 98+ vs only an input speed sensor in the 97- versions. Your TCM is expecting the input from both sensors and will throw transmission codes if the second sensor is not present.

Plus, then you will have the major conversion work done should you decide, in the future, to bolt in a D30 front axle. The only consideration I can see is to make sure the transfer case is in 2wd prior to running the vehicle. Well, OK, it will work just fine in 4 Hi also.

Follow standard practices on a swap and ve sure to flush the transmission cooling lines and the transcooler in the radiator (and the aux cooler should you have one) very thoroughly to make sure all of the current contamination is removed. No sense in making the replacement transmission sick with whatever disease the current one is suffering...

Note from DJ
I am not a transmission expert and I have an 88 so no cross reference info there, but what are the chances that the grinding noise is from the rear differential and not the transmission.

Were there any prier symptoms of a problem prior to the failure? And how were you able to take it to a shop for their diagnosis if it will not move?

I towed it to the shop. Only one prior incident but it seemed at the moment to be nothing. I was driving and went over a small dip in the road and when I went to go give it gas I heard clicking noises and had no power when gas was given. I thought it might be the rear diff too, but after jacking it up and running it in reverse, it was obvious that the noise was coming from the transmission.

I appreciate all the advice that was given, I know I can count on this site for advice. Thanks again. I'll let ya all know what I do, but as of this moment I have to let it sit for a while because my new project is getting the baby room all taken care of before he comes next month

Back