• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with my mail jeep...Stalls at mailboxes, but starts right back up?

4ESTJP

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to figure out the problem and have taken it to two mechanics. I use my 2000 xj 2wd 4 cyl automatic xj to deliver mail on Saturdays.

I have to start and stop over and over again all day and the problem is getting worse. When I pull up to the mailbox it just silently dies and does not throw any codes for the mechanics to look at. It has been getting worse now on accelerating and quietly pausing(losing power) for a second or two. I have also noticed if I go up hill it stutters and hesitates.

The mechanic recommended putting a new battery in, but that did not help. Any ideas?

Try slipping it into neutral before you come to a complete stop. Does it still die?

Try braking rather hard (no skidding!) from around 40 mph (or higher) but do not come to complete stop. Does it still die?

Does the engine rev OK in neutral?

Get a good gauge and check your fuel pressure.

Check the idle air control motor (IAC) for movement, also pull the IAC off and make sure it isn't gunked up
While in theory checking the IAC for movement sounds like a good idea, if you remove the IAC and turn on the key, be prepared to buy a new IAC. The pintle will shoot out and the IAC will come apart.

I do agree on pulling the IAC and cleaning it with a toothbrush and carb cleaner, then spray in the housing and clean it out. A q-tip helps to remove the last of the crud.

While in theory checking the IAC for movement sounds like a good idea, if you remove the IAC and turn on the key, be prepared to buy a new IAC. The pintle will shoot out and the IAC will come apart.

I do agree on pulling the IAC and cleaning it with a toothbrush and carb cleaner, then spray in the housing and clean it out. A q-tip helps to remove the last of the crud.

agreed 100% both with the caution and the method.

Back