• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which cage kit? Why?

Which Kit?

• D&C

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • swracecar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EOR

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Before making that decision I would need more info from some of those companies. But here's what I see so far:

D&C: lower price than the rest but they are using smaller and weaker material 1.5" HREW vs 1.75" DOM. They are the only ones that show an interior pic of some sort of crossbrace to the B-pillar bar.

SW: need pics of the actual product.

EOR: they couldn't take a pic of the rear seat folded down so you could see the cage more??? Unsure if there is any crossbracing there.

I'm not a huge fan of any of these kits but they could be used for a basic structure you could add to or build off of. In one of the EOR pics you can barely make out the position of the B-pillar bar to the seat and it looks like you could add some crossbracing there. D&C it looks more difficult. SW?? who knows. Personally I think 1.5" is enough for a cage that is used with an intact body but I would prefer it to be DOM instead of HREW at least for the most important sections. If you have issues with that or plan to race, you will have to use one of the 1.75" kits... and add to it.

Thanks for the incite Eric, I don't plan on racing as of now. But I don't want to limit her down the road. I plan to add to the cage down the road since none of them are triangulated or braced enough for what I am comfortable with.

Four votes, two replies on why. Don't vote please unless you can validate it. I don't care what a buddy of a buddy of the mail man said.

I like the Rock Hard bolt in cage with options for ease of installation but it is pricy. I have installed several T&J cages and they are well made but with any of the cages available I would buy extra bracing for max strength. It matters a bit to me not to have to tear the entire interior apart to avoid burning stuff up doing the welding.

John, did you like the T&J overall? Their website is a pain in the ass otherwise I would have listed them too lol...

Build your own, so you dont have to deal with other peoples idea of where to compromise... You need a tube bender and notcher anyways!

Before making that decision I would need more info from some of those companies. But here's what I see so far:

D&C: lower price than the rest but they are using smaller and weaker material 1.5" HREW vs 1.75" DOM. They are the only ones that show an interior pic of some sort of crossbrace to the B-pillar bar.

SW: need pics of the actual product.

EOR: they couldn't take a pic of the rear seat folded down so you could see the cage more??? Unsure if there is any crossbracing there.

I am with Eric on these. The one thing I like about the D&C is that access to the interior and the rear grab bar/cross bar at the B-Pillar.

The SW limits the drivers entry. And the EOR just seems like a good starting shell.

As stated previously, D&C has Cross Bracing on the A and B pillars and is designed to be utilized in the front and the back seats.
S&WRacing has some triangulation but cross bracing on the A pillar would be nice. Having a B pillar would be nice. The tringulation would restrict access to the rear seats.
EOR appears to be a decent kit. Cross bracing on the A&B pillars is not there.

FWIW,I did a complete roll 11 years ago. Caged it 10 years ago with a D&C Extreme cage with the intentions of upgrading in the future. I have yet to roll it again, and I no longer 'go fast' in the dunes. I do not see a need to upgrade the D&C cage to fit my style of driving in the rocks.

Tyler (pretty sure im bad with remembering names) i didnt vote but why not have a shop build you a cage? Then you get everything you want and how you want it. If you are set on those 3 id dump the 1st choice because i feel 1.5 is to small and if you plan on racing (dirt riot or ultra 4 or even short course) you will need 1.75 due to the weight of the XJs. Id call around your local 4x4 shops and see what they think and say. If willing to tow and drop it off in the valley id call Andrew at Letzroll offroad he built mine. Or call Hunter at Hunter offroad ive seen some of his cages and wow they are amazing. Best of luck.

John, did you like the T&J overall? Their website is a pain in the ass otherwise I would have listed them too lol...
I felt the fit was very good, I had to trim just a little bit off of the bottom of the tubes where they meet the floor plates. This was no big deal as it would suck for them to have been short. I do feel the cage is barely adequate as it comes. It needs further bracing to be as strong as I feel is best. For the money though, it is a great start.

I didn't vote because I don't have any first hand experience with these cages. However, I did want to mention that while D&C's is made of 1.5" HREW, the site says that "DOM is available at additional price." Might be of interest to someone who likes the D&C design but is wary of the HREW. Now whether or not they could build it out of 1.75" DOM is another story. Might be worth a phone call...

I've caged pick-ups and built some of my own buggys. And the d@c looks like the way to go for supports, mods and ease of install, I'm actually ordering one tonight for my 99.

id say build your own. you can buy alot of 1.5" .120 wall DOM for 500$ and get alot done. borrow a bender and use a cutoff wheel to notch.
or if you have the dies, go with 1.75.

id say build your own. you can buy alot of 1.5" .120 wall DOM for 500$ and get alot done. borrow a bender and use a cutoff wheel to notch.
or if you have the dies, go with 1.75.

I'm going to be borrowing friends services to put a cage into my turd, the reason I want to use a kit is so that I don't have to waste a huge amount of their time. So once I get the cage kit, throw it in quickly then triangulate and gusset at I see fit. Seems like it could save a significant amount of time and beer...

Back