• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why are there so few 16" X7" rims available for Xjs?

96 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have some take off tires (265X65-16) that are the right diameter for my Cherokee. So I thought I would buy some salvage yard rims and get some use out of them. (I have my own tire changer and balancer) So in looking at what's available at the online tire retailers, about everything in 16" is 8" or wider bead. Checked with the local Jeep rebuild shop and they don't have anything in 16" except odd offset rims. Am I SOL?

Take a look at any vehicle that has 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern..... 16x8 should be about right on those

I mean yes and no... If you want nice aftermarket rims 99% will be 16X8 because aftermarket jeep rims are mostly geared towards larger and wider tires which really kinda need a wider rim... like in my case On my XY I have 315/75/R16 and they would look a bit funny on a 16X7 Rim so I got Cragar Streetlock wheels 16X8 and they are wonderfull. But if you really want a 16X7 that fits your vehicle lots of 93-98 ZJ grand cherokees came with em stock also the same 16X7 rims show up on various other chrysler products. My moms 2001 town n country has the 16X7 gold honeycombs. So just peek around at boneyards you will find something.

TJ 16" MOABS FTW!

The KJ Liberty had a couple of 16x7 options (in addition to the [Limited?] ZJs and later Limited/Classic/Anniversary/Freedom XJs), but I haven't seen one in the yards I normally go to. I hunted for a while for 16" wheels until I found mine on JF. The KJ wheels pop up on Craigslist occasionally, but it mostly seems like finding Jeep parts locally is just a b*tch.

16 x 7 alloys were standard on 2000 & 2001 XJ Classic and Limited models.

The 16" rim first appeared in '98 on the ZJ 5.9 Limited. I run theses wheels.
Later on, they did find their way onto the XJ in both the '00 and the '01 model years.

They will be pricey if purchased from a yard via http://www.car-part.com/ but can occasionally be found for much less.

I negotiated with a take off yard here in the Springs to get all 5 wheels for $300.00. They started off wanting $150.00 each for them. I pointed out that, yes, they could get that much selling one this year and maybe another one next year. Or... We could come to a deal and I would take all 5 today.

They dropped the price to get the sale and I got a full set of 16s for less than the cost of new steelies.

The 16" rim first appeared in '98 on the ZJ 5.9 Limited. I run theses wheels.
Later on, they did find their way onto the XJ in both the '00 and the '01 model years.

They will be pricey if purchased from a yard via http://www.car-part.com/ but can occasionally be found for much less.

I negotiated with a take off yard here in the Springs to get all 5 wheels for $300.00. They started off wanting $150.00 each for them. I pointed out that, yes, they could get that much selling one this year and maybe another one next year. Or... We could come to a deal and I would take all 5 today.

They dropped the price to get the sale and I got a full set of 16s for less than the cost of new steelies.

16" wheels came out on the 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited.

Back