• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overfilled ATF, options for partial draining?

kshbaja

NAXJA Forum User
My ATF fluid level is too high. I was wondering if it's possible to drain small amounts of fluid by carefully loosening the drain plug until fluid starts to drain but the plug is still in the pan threads? I'd prefer not to do another full drain/refill.

I was also considering using a suction gun and some PVC tubing to remove via the filler tube but the smallest PVC tubing I had (3/8" OD maybe) seemed to hit a dead end before getting to the pan. My dipstick seems to hit a point about 3/4 in where I have to twist it in just the right direction to seat it fully. Is this normal? Should I be able to get some PVC tubing into the pan via the filler?

Finally, I know the proper procedure is to check ATF levels hot, but is there a cold fill mark to use as a rough estimate? The manual mentions something about checking the fluid at 25 deg. C but it doesn't state if this should be with the Jeep running or not?

I have done the method of loosening the plug and draining a little oil, wear a rubber glove it will get messy because you will need to hold onto the plug the whole time.

I have only checked my At fluid when hot, I don't do the idling in neutral thing, level is always good and I have never had any issues.

If it were me.

I'd drain the pan completely and measure out 3.75 quarts and just pour the 3.75 quarts back in. You could play with the dipstick all day and you could still be screwing around with it trying to get the level right.

Empty pan + 3.75 quarts = on the money...the first time.

Then check it, engine running, on level ground, at operating temp, in Park.

My mistake was refilling the same amount that I drained. I drained 4.5 quarts and added the same back in. It was overfilled before I drained/refilled! Yes, I know I should have checked the level before putting the same amount back in. I'd really prefer not to waste that new fluid, but I see your point that it would most likely be simplest solution.

If I do that, I make sure and run it through a coffee filter to get out any crud that might come along with it.

Back