• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 cylinder xj

nicksjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be looking for a new xj. What is the mpg on a 4 cylinder and what was the last year that they made them? thanks

Really not worth having vs the 242ci. Only good thing about 4cyl 4WD is the axles that are geared to 4.10 (and the rare 4.56s that were in the rare autos).

2.5L was used through 2000 in the XJ and has the reputation of being as reliable as the 4.0L-- pretty much the same design minus a couple cylinders.

I've managed high 24mpg with my li'l 256000 mile grenade, but that's at 55mph on the Eastern shore (Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia) at sea level with a total change in elevation through 200+ miles of about 150 feet.

around town with a 2wd, 2.5L, 5spd I usually see about 19.5mpg-- that's 100% "hurry up and stop" commuting into and out of the largest Navy base in the world.

with 4.10:1 gears, it's got enough zip on 235/75's to keep up with everyone, but it seems to run out of guts on the interstate somewhere around 70mph-- she'll do more, but the economy drops quickly at that point.

If you're buying one to wheel, I'd steer away from the 2.5L just for the ease of finding replacement parts when you break it (AX-5 isn't as stout as the AX-15, etc) but as a D.D. it wouldn't be a deal breaker IMHO.

I have an '89 4x4 6 cyl. auto Limited & '96 4x2 (with locker) 4 cyl. 5 speed SE. Both are stock hight with 235/75 tires.
I agree with Shorty with a couple opinions / observations;

The 4 cyl. manual is more "fun" to drive and does most of the traveling. BUT, it's noisier with more vibration (4 cyl. vs. 6, manual vs. auto).

With the 4.11's the 4 cyl. is turning 2800 RPM at freeway speeds which, IMO, is a bad place for harmonics.

The 6 is cruising along around 2100 RPM (3.55's) and much smoother because of 50% more cylinders firing.

Hence, the 4 & 6 with stock gears both have the same number of cylinders firing per mile driven.
Your Mileage May Vary, mine doesn't.

Mike

Don't go there. Had one years ago and would'nt even consider another one. I had a manual and it was a complete dog on the freeway. I then swapped in a reman'd engine with no improvement. Ended up breaking the crankshaft in that one.
Stick with a 4.0L.

Thanks for the info. I should have explained a little more. I have a 4.0 with 488's and a 4:1 transfer case. It's a np231 but a 21 spline not a 23 spline. I want more of a daily driver but is capable to go where I want it to. I was thinking if I went to a 4 banger and swapped axles to the new xj running 33" tires. It wouldn't be such a dog. Also I can put my 4:1 in it because they use 21spline transfer case.

I've got an 86 2.5l 4cyl on 31" thornbirds. I'm running 4.88s and it has the 5spd. I just put spartan lockers in front and rear. It gets down the freeway fine at 65mph. I really could t tell you what my mileage is b/c the speedo is so far off (about 15mph at 65) however I do know that I always have more fuel in my tank at the end of the day than the 4.0 guys. The only thing is I can't go up steep hills in 4hi she runs out steam but I prefer to be in 4lo anyway.

Back