• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping sound in front end (long)

Chief93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys this is really stuping me, i cant figure it out at all. I have a 93 4WD Sport and i have a popping sound coming from the front. It alwasys happens when i turn the wheel, both ways it wil go "pop pop pop pop" whenim just sitting still and turning like in a prking lot or something and whenever i hit bumps, it sometimes will "pop" just once. It feels like it is coming form the drivers side or maybe both sides. anyways i put in new ball joints a couple weeks ago on the drivers side. I was thinking thsat this was the problem because they are the only component on the vehicle that supports weight (explaining pop during bump in the road) and turns (pop while turning) with the wheels. whenever I was putting in the ball joints i acidentaly cooked the grease out of the lower one with the torch, (i was really rushing it) and forgot to regrease it when i was finished so now its dry. i guess that couls stil be a problem but the old Ball joint was BEAT (233,000 miles will do that to a ball joint) and the noise hasnt changed at all. i guess im gonna gafta do the passesnger side soon but any other ideas? thanks guys-Aaron PS

I would suggest checking the track bar too. I had a similar problem with mine. Sitting still, it would pop when I turned the wheel back and forth. I had my girlfriend turn the wheel for me as I touched both ends of the track bar. It became obvious where it was coming from then. Mine was loose on the passenger/axle side, but I did notice that the sound traveled up through the track bar and made it sound like it was coming from the driver's side when sitting inside.

Back