• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 acting funny and CEL light on.

AeroSync

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday there was a tropical storm in Miami so it was raining hard and most of the streets were flooded. I guess I hit a puddle too fast because when I went to accelerate after the puddles my CEL light came on and the AW4 would not shift out of first.

I stopped, turned it off, and back on and drove and it did the same thing. It shifted to second gear at 4500 RPM, I'm guessing at the fail safe? Now, fast forward to later that night after letting it sit, I get in to drive home and it is revving a bit much before shifting, but it goes through gears 1, 2, and 3, but not into OD.

Today after sitting over night it did the same thing while driving, but would hit OD at about 46 MPH, way off. For some reason it seems every shift is was off and too high. Then a few hours ago it was back to 1st until 4500 RPM. I swapped out the TPS thinking it was that based on some forum readings.

After installing the new TPS (which came apart, that's another story, I somehow managed to put it all together with springs etc) the Jeep drives and shifts smoothly hitting all correct shift points and OD at ~35 MPH. HOWEVER, if I floor it, it does not kick down? It also still tries to stall out when I let off the gas?

What is going on? I read the codes and P0121, P0122, and P0740 before I replaced the TPS. I'm concerned with the P0740 code as it is transmission related.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What year?

I think your new TPS is suspect, especially because you are still setting codes for it and it came apart during installation.

The TPS hates water, so hitting that big puddle is likely what introduced water to that sensor.

Take that new sensor back and get another one. Stay away from el-cheapo engine management sensors; historically the fail rate on them right out of the box is high. I buy plenty of aftermarket parts, but I buy my sensors directly from Jeep.

What year?

I think your new TPS is suspect, especially because you are still setting codes for it and it came apart during installation.

The TPS hates water, so hitting that big puddle is likely what introduced water to that sensor.

Take that new sensor back and get another one. Stay away from el-cheapo engine management sensors; historically the fail rate on them right out of the box is high. I buy plenty of aftermarket parts, but I buy my sensors directly from Jeep.

I found it weird that it did shift fine but like I said it tries to stall and doesn't kick down when I floor it.
Ok, so I will return the TPS to Advance and get one from the dealer. I'm guessing the dealer is a little more but better quality.

Back