• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Had a leak

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
So the other day I noticed the carpet on the passenger side was wet, I had a rotted heater core in my 89 that flooded the carpet as well. Turned out it was coming from the inner fender right under the heater blower motor. So after pulling the carpet & pad back, using a heat gun to dry it all out. I Gooped the inner fender with sealant and that seemed to stop it. Last night when I looked the water was puddled there which means it didn't leak onto the carpet. Anyone else had this problem???

Door seal maybe?
Perhaps a corner of your windshield is starting to leak?
That's gonna be a tricky one to track down. Maybe try sitting in there with the seat pulled and the carpet back, and have someone douse that whole corner from all angles with a hose, and see if you can pin-point for sure where the leak is.

Yeah I just had a new windshield installed, but it was wet before that. Im pretty sure it was coming from under the blower motor. It was all under the carpet, if it were a door seal I would think the top of the carpet would be wet.... Not sure though.

Pull your cowl and check to see if you have a bunch of leaves piled up in there. If it's pretty full what happens is water will flow over the top of your HVAC vent and pool on the floor. This would make sense because the HVAC vent is on the passengers side. I would check to make sure it has a good seal also.

Blower motor gasket was the cause of my leak. I just pulled it and covered it with silicone.

I pulled the cowl, on my 93 unlike my 89 the pass side doesn't have the well, it was only on the drivers side. But it didnt look to bad, mostly pine needles. But on the blower motor, where dose the water come from to get in there? I m thinking mine is rain water that works its way down to the crotch right below the blower motor. I removed the AC system all together, is the HVAC vent the block where the lings from the AC connected to?

NO its on the passenger side, mine was fully coverd by sheet metal. Unsure of the older body stlyes. If you look threw the hole on the driver side there shoud be a plastic vent, probably around 5X5 or 6x6 inches wide and long. There shouldnt be any water getting into the blower motor box, if there is theres a problem. And its probably the HVAC vent. If I had my Cherokee I could pull my cowl and snap some pictures. There is a cowl air mod that should have pictures of the HVAC vent. I did this upgrade so I had to cut out the steel above my HVAC vent, thats now where my air filter resides, right next to the HVAC vent.

The vent will be there regaurdless. Its where almost all cars pull air in for there heaters. If you want to have cold air instead of hot air that is less efficent it makes sence to do.

Joeys and mine did the same thing and mine was drain on the pass side I think it’s for the heater box. If you look on the frame rail on the pass side at the bottom of the fire wall there is a hose that is there. I pulled mine off and blew it out with air. It was so clogged with road grime that I had to do it a couple times to get it all out. Mine only leaked with I parked on hills facing up hill. If I backed in it would not leak. It would leak so much water it will fill my husky liners. You might check that before pulling everything apart.

I have had it happen the same way as Iceman before.....drain plug was clogged and loading my husky liners as well....once I cleared out the drain I didnt have any more problems. Another time though I did have to use the hose method to run it around the door seals...one was cracked up at the top of the door and running all the way down around and in.

Ok today when I get home I will look for the drain hose and check that out. I know from what is wet its running down behind the carpet, the pad & insulation were soaked, and the piece on the floor that's a hard plastic with the foam sponge was soaked. But I will check out the tube tonight and see what it looks like.

Back