• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On Board Air - Quick Question - Sanden Compressor Connections

Murphster05

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,

I know there are a thousand write ups for this, but I can't find the answer I am looking for ANYWHERE. I have an 89 4.0 XJ with a stock Sanden on board that I am going to convert over. I have a parts list for everything but can't seem to figure out what size the connections are on the compressor. I took the connectors off of the compressor and took them to about 6 different stores looking for something that would fit either the compressor side, or the side that hooks up to the hose. No luck at all... What do people use to get the compressor to an air hose?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

I went to my local radiator/ac shop, the guy hooked me up with proper connectors.

As for the pressure side, you need to run a cooling coil to prevent the rubber hose from melting. 10" of 3/8 copper tubing wrapped around a spray can worked for me.

Wow, incredibly fast response, thanks! Do you have a photo of the cooling coil? Someone had mentioned that but I noticed that most people don't run one at all, they just go straight to the air manifold.

Did he give you the connections for the hose connections, or to the actual compressor?

Also, where did you source a pressure switch?

Thanks again for the reply!

Will get a pic of the coil after breakfast.
I got metal connectors to the compressor (much like what would be inside to oem hose) then went to Earls, and got some scraps of tube to get to/from the cooling coil/ inline oiler.

I sourced the pressure switch from Kilby, a little pricy at around $60, but space is at a premium underhood.

Great, thanks for the information! Due to exasperation I have actually tapped the inside of the connections to get a barbed fitting in there, should work for now... I hope! Cooling coil is definetly a good idea.

Thank you for your help!

I have heard of folks doing that with the renix compressors without incident. The way I did mine just suits me better.

Cooling coil:

IMG_20120523_082402.jpg

Manifold:
IMG_20120523_082524.jpg

Nice, thanks for the info! I can see the connections there too, slightly different that my compressor I think. I will figure out a pressure switch option and get this project moving along here again!

Going to have to consider that cooling coil seriously as it was not in the original plan at all... will it just outright melt the hose without a coil?

Maybe run hydraulic hose to a tank and only output from the tank?

Great, thanks for the info! I think I will probably end up using that switch also, doesn't seem to be many other options out there, and certainly nothing that cheap.

hahaha, yea, saw a few of those on McMaster also, way too pricey, and too complex, want to keep it as simple as possible. Ordered the manifold, pop safety, and check valve this morning. Eventually I will have all the parts and give this thing a shot...

i just cut the rubber hose coming out of the compressor and shoved a barbed fitting in it then used some pipe nipples and reducers to connect it to my seperator. you want 2 good quality hose clamps or it will blow apart. no problems with this setup running long enough to air my 35's from 15 to 30 psi. i found a small 100psi pressure switch at a flea market for $2 that i installed it the pressure port on the original line. i don't remember if i had to retap the hole for the thread or if it threaded right in without any modification.

The problem is when your wheeling buddies all have the MV-50's and 35-37's. I have aired up my rig, plus two others, in the time it took the electric to inflate one rig (all rigs involved had 33's).

After seeing a few rubber hoses melt, it made me wonder how good all that hot air was for the tire. Wheel all day at low pressure =heat, air up with hot air =more heat, drive 2-3 hours home on the highway =more heat.

Gonna have to use the IR gun on my coil now...

Back