• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how wide of tire will fit on OE rim?

I'm adding the OE Jeep Liberty KJ 17"X7" wheels; they have nearly the same backspacing as the OE Cherokee XJ wheels. I was curious what is the widest tire that I can run on a factory rim on the Cherokee? I would like to run a 255 or 265. Here's a picture of 265's on the KJ.

mtz6ed4.jpg

Last edited:
widest i would run on any 7" wide rim is a 10.50 wide tires.

im not familiar with metric sizes for a 17... but with minimal lift, a 31x10.50 can easily be fitted. there are calculators out there. and companies give the sizes of their metric tires.

I have a 4" lift. I'm looking at either a 255/70/17 or 265/70/17. I'm not worried how well they will fit a 7" wide rim, I'm worried that they will rub on suspension parts with OE backspacing, that's why I'm asking.

you can run a 12.50, but it will balloon out quite a bit

on a factory backspaced wheel a 12.50 will be very likely to rub on the leaf springs, and will absolutely rub on the lower control arms up front when the wheels are turned to full lock left or right. I would stick with a 10.50.

on a factory backspaced wheel a 12.50 will be very likely to rub on the leaf springs, and will absolutely rub on the lower control arms up front when the wheels are turned to full lock left or right. I would stick with a 10.50.

That's the info I'm looking for, thanks! Now I need to figure out if a 255 is about the same as a 10.50? Thoughts anyone?

Now I need to figure out if a 255 is about the same as a 10.50? Thoughts anyone?

255mm is equal to 10.04 inches.
My 01 XJ would rub on 31 X 10.50 and 33 X10.50, with stock 7" rims.
Added 1-1/4" spacers to provide the needed clearance.

255mm is equal to 10.04 inches.
My 01 XJ would rub on 31 X 10.50 and 33 X10.50, with stock 7" rims.
Added 1-1/4" spacers to provide the needed clearance.

That's good to know. It looks like I'm safe with 255's, but 265's would be pushing the limits.

My 245s on 16"x7" wheels rub the LCAs. If you have aftermarket or WJ arms, I would think you might gain a little more room. That being said, it's very close to lock before they rub, and it hasn't been a major issue. A 245/x/x tire is just over 9.5" wide.

My 245s on 16"x7" wheels rub the LCAs. If you have aftermarket or WJ arms, I would think you might gain a little more room. That being said, it's very close to lock before they rub, and it hasn't been a major issue. A 245/x/x tire is just over 9.5" wide.

I have JKS LCA's, so I'm not sure how much that will help.

I'm not 100% sure, but it appears that the XJ OE wheels have a backpacking of 5.25 inches and the backspacing for the KJ wheels are 5.5 inches. I'm really hoping I'll be fine with a 255, but some of it will depend on the sidewall tread. For example, the Toyo M/T has some serious sidewall tread which is additional width not accounted for.

My 31x10.50s are VERY close to the leafs/u-bolts. I would not recommend anything more than 10.50 or 265 on stock XJ wheels.

My 31x10.50s are VERY close to the leafs/u-bolts. I would not recommend anything more than 10.50 or 265 on stock XJ wheels.

Do you think that 265's would clear the leafs/u-bolts? I realize there would probably be rubbing at full lock.

i ran em... never rubbed the leafs, they were close, but never touched em... they did rub the control arms pretty bad though

I've got a 33x12.5 on my stock spare wheel. Only had to run it once up front and I was already having issues with rubbing on control arms so I don't know if it made a difference.

If you go wider than 10.5 you will need wheel spacers front and rear. I am running 32 x 12.5s on factory 7" Jeep Eccos. The rear tires rubbed on the bolt of the leaf spring clips. The front tires rubbed on the lower control arms. I added wheel spacers and everything fits great with no rubbing.

Back