• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best LA Junkyard for XJ Parts?

PetrolHead

NAXJA Forum User
Installing an SYE soon and now I need to track down a stock front driveshaft. I don't really feel like JY hopping, where's the best place to go with the greatest likelihood of finding a bunch of XJ's to pick off of in the LA area?

50% this Memorial Day wknd at the Pick a Part in Wilmington. It's a pretty huge yard and they always have a few XJs. Don't forget to check the late model area as well.

Excellent, Wilmington is very close to home. I guess with 50% off, Pick a Part will be it. I've been there before and it's gigantic. Hopefully I'll be able to find a decent front driveshaft.

x2 about wilmington, but i prefer ecology.... less scummy but they dont allow outside jacks inside the yard. Pick your part on a 50% weekend sounds nice... but meh. They nickel and dime you on parts (oh, is that a brake pad still on that d30? thats $4 a set.... brake lines? those are 6$.... and so on), and it gets crowded...

Well, I'm just going for a driveshaft, so there's not much to nickel and dime I hope. I hear ya on the scummyness and the crowds though. Perhaps I will do Ecology. I haven't been there yet, but I don't want to spend all afternoon looking through a yard if there aren't any XJ's there.

Last time I was there on half-off weekend, I parked on a side street and walked. I'll probably use PaP as a last resort if Ecology is a no-go. At least they're close to each other.

Installing an SYE soon and now I need to track down a stock front driveshaft. I don't really feel like JY hopping, where's the best place to go with the greatest likelihood of finding a bunch of XJ's to pick off of in the LA area?

FWIW, a stock front driveline is not great for a rear driveline. The axle splines are not large and can develope play easily.

Sure, tons of people will say 'mine is that way and it is fine' but it is not ideal or a long time solution.

Proper rear drivelines can be had as low as $170 from local driveline sources.

FWIW, a stock front driveline is not great for a rear driveline. The axle splines are not large and can develope play easily.

Sure, tons of people will say 'mine is that way and it is fine' but it is not ideal or a long time solution.

Proper rear drivelines can be had as low as $170 from my local Mexican driveline source with shitty welds.

:p

FIFY

Proper rear drivelines can be had as low as $170 from local driveline sources.

Any local sources you can recommend in particular?

I'm hoping to do this on the relative cheap. My XJ just started exhibiting noise due to play in the slip yoke, so I want to swap in a SYE before I do permanent damage, but I wasn't expecting to so soon. I got a great deal on an Advance Adapters HD kit so at least that's legit, but I figure the driveline is an easy thing to swap out if it starts to go. So, while money's tight I'll just throw some new u-joints in a front drive shaft and roll with that in the rear for as long as possible.

Ecology has all their xj's in the first section, on your right going past the entry. Both Pick your part's have them way in the back...

Sweet, thanks! :cheers:

There is a shop on the corner of broadway and gardena blvd in Gardena that used to be called Driveline Specialties i think they changed the name but they do all my co-worker's drag racing stuff.

ahh looks like they are called Powertrain Industries now. http://www.driveshaftpro.com/gardena anyway they do excellent work.

Oh, I'm sure they do excellent work...but for a price. Thing is on a budget, and could run a front driveshaft and even have a spare on hand in case something exploded and still be far cheaper than a custom unit. Most of what I've read says that a front driveshaft is the way to go.

I want something reliable, but I've only got a 3.5" lift and 31's at the moment and bomb-proof isn't really an immediate concern as much as cost. I'm rather gentle on it when I wheel BUT I do want to do it right though, and if the front driveshaft's just not going to cut it I'll look elsewhere.

If you go or call Powertrain talk to Sergio and tell him Max from DirtBound told you to call, he should hook you up. He is a fellow jeeper and I am in there all the time getting work done.

I run front and rears from them and they have been great. I know I had some beefy ones made but he can also do cheaper ones.

The other thing to think about is the length, and the condition of the used shaft. If you are going to have to get it lengthened and rebuilt you might be better off just getting a new one made.

Seems like most people who run front driveshafts in the rear don't run into issues with length. However, rebuilding is a concern for me. I could see how it'd get costly and thus a wash when considering a new one.

I'm also unfortunately an apartment dweller and do my wrenching in the alley in front of my garage. I can't really have my rig sitting there for more than a day, so not having a driveshaft to put in after I do the SYE will make things challenging. I guess I could put it in front wheel drive just to get it to the street until the driveshaft is done.

Thanks for the lead Max, I'll give Sergio a ring.

4WD H and no rear shaft as long as the SYE is installed and you can drive it in front wheel drive... I have driven that way for a few days before.

I have called Sergio before at 9am and had a drive shaft in my hands by noon.

Back