• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spindle Replacement

XJ-CJ8

NAXJA Forum User
So, in a moment of weakness I just ok'd the dealer to replace both (L/R) spindles on the front axle/wheel assembly. 2001, 194k miles with a D-30. About 15k miles ago, I replaced the u-joints in the front axle. That was a bear of a project, they might have been the same joints to roll off the showroom floor. So, my experience discouraged me from spending my Memorial Day weekend in frustration (I've too many other projects underway to justify to the wife that I work on my Jeep).

Anyway, back to the story. The spindles are going to set me back about a grand. The more I think about it, the more upset I get. I can't find anything on the forums about spindles going band, and I am not really understanding how this part goes bad. 193k miles on the Jeep, but am I correct, there are no moving parts on the spindle? Somebody please reassure me that this is not an unusual repair (or point and laugh at the idiot who keeps chrysler dealerships in business with giant service revenues).

Thanks,
AT

i think you are finding nothing because you are using the wrong terminology. the front end of your 2001 does not have a spindle, it has a sealed unit bearing design. this is a nonserviceable "unit" and must be replaced as a whole.

$1000 is crazy, do not pay it. for that kind of money... you could fly me out there, pay for the parts, buy cases of beer, have it done with simple hand tools, and still get the job done faster and cheaper than the dealership. timkin unit bearing are only $100. even laces like autozone have them, its what you want.

if you replaced the U joints, youve already done all the work needed to replace the unit bearings. even if you left the bearing attached to the stub shaft (which would have made changing the Ujoints a biatch) your only 1 36mm nut away from changing them, as you had to pull it to get to the shaft.

(26 posts and already red... nice. took me 2 years. haha)

Thanks for the reply. If it's the bearings (same as hubs?), that service tech will hear holy hell from me. I'm being told its the cast part that attaches to the knuckle by bolting up to the ball joints. I was really thrown by the "spindle" term as well.

I need the vehicle back ASAP (they've had it since Friday) so it's getting done today. I made sure they save the "worn" parts for me.

The issue was a clunking (metal) that I thought was coming from the front axle.

Maybe I'll post a picture later tonight.

(Also, I've been a lurker on the forums since 2005. First big savings was tracking down a motor blower leak on the '93. I considered paying after replacing the oil adapter rings on the same vehicle. After I did the evap core on the '01, my conscience wouldn't let me stay black. I did accidentally let my membership lapse briefly about a month back. I probably should have done auto-renew)

I suppose that would be possible if your balljoints were worn enough to be sloppy and wallowed out the tapers in the knuckle (what I think they are referring to as the spindle) ... sounds like a run a crap luck if so. But likely they are just replacing the ball joints ... and that sounds like a correct quote for having the dealership rape ... er ... replace your balljoints for you. My first quote for such work prompted me to run out and buy a balljoint press and do it myself ... for a $900 savings

Definately the knuckle (pretty obvious after looking at the description on the invoice stating "knuckle F"). Now I'm getting a little hot about them continuing to call it a spindle when I repeated stated that didn't sound right to me. I didn't have enough time last night to crawl under the vehicle, but they look shiney in a sea of corrosion and rust.

So, I specifically asked the tech (probably not the tech, but whoever was giving the diagnosis) if I could get by with new ball joints or if they were replacing the ball joints as while they were at it. He said that would not fix my problem.

The parts listed were:
52067576 - Knuckle F - 17011024
52067577 - Knuckle F - 17011024

I'm hoping this part number comes with new ball joints, otherwise I would expect to have the same issue in the near future. Anyone have any input before I crawl uner the vehicle later tonight to do some more investigation?

Also, the old parts that I requested were not provided. I picked the jeep up late last night and didn't verify they were in the back. I'm still trying to get them.

You got screwed IMO... they may have replaced those due to wear from the brake pads on the slides. I pay ten or twenty bucks apiece for them at the junkyard.

Take it as an expensive lesson in not bringing your jeep to the dealership, unless you can get them to lower the price a bit. Even if they also replaced the unit bearings, replacing the knuckles and unit bearings takes like two hours and approximately $200 in parts if you buy new Timken bearings and used knuckles.

Sounds like your all set to poop a bowling ball and never have it touch your skin as it exits! I'm not going to fault you for not having time to fix this yourself. Happens to most of us sometimes. But why the dealer!?! Given your on a jeep forum, why didn't you throw out a request for either help to fix it yourself or some decent shops in your area that wouldn't rape you with the elephant finger of love!?! I feel for you but just don't understand why the stealer-ship? Heck, I'd trust Napa or even pep boys more... Well, maybe only a little more.

A grand? Lol, I will sell you a set of knuckles for $500, I will even throw in FREE SHIPPING!

Run away from that dealer.

I should have known better, I don't have a good mechanic around here. The last couple I've let do work end up being within 10% of the dealership and I'm not happy with their work either. One shop quoted me more than the dealer for the same repair. After I notified them the were over the dealer quote, they backed off a bit. After that experience, I didn't know who to go to.

On the plus side, there was a significant clunking in the front (during acceleration and decceleration) that is now gone. If they replaced ball joints and bearings, I'll be ok. I can take that as another lesson to avoid the dealership at all costs. We will have an issue if I crawl under there and find the old ball joints. (would the bearings have been making the noise?)

Also, I still need to see those old parts.

Despite the lack of encouragement I do appreciate all of the replys. Thanks.

It's a jeep... learn to fix it yourself!

If you can get some of that money back, that'll pay for basically every tool you need to work on an XJ. My toolbag was stolen recently and the replacement cost came to around 900 - for literally every single tool that fits anything on an XJ, ever, plus a bunch of stuff that I had just because it made various jobs a lot easier.

Back