• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core Valve

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
in my 96 XJ I have had to replace the Heater Core valve twice already and now the 3 one is leaking again. the part is crap because its plastic. is there an all metal replacement I can get or a way to bypass it?

Get rid of it entirely. Didn't matter where I bought the valve, they were all the same (I converted my '88 to have the "open" cooling system). I just eliminated the valve all together with no issues. AC still blows cold. Block off the vacuum to the valve and you are done.

I also eliminated mine with no ill effects. Or you can get a metal one for an 83 Chevy Caprice. Send a PM to Oatmeal for the part number.

Eliminate it, you won't have a problem. You can either run new hoses direct or use 1/2" trade size copper water pipe and fittings to solder up something that'll fit in the stock hose configuration, then stick it in there with hose clamps.

If you decide to replace it here's two metal version part numbers:
AC Delco P/N 15-5302, or
Everco 74800

I hear Vatozone has the Everco part for 23 bucks.

Back