• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle vibrations and clicks/clunks

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone!

So as of a few days ago my front axle has started to make a "clunking" noise that would speed up as I would speed up.

To better scoop you on the details. It does not do it in 4 wheel hi. And it does not do it when I brake.

Coasting and driving it will however. I did replace the driver side axle u joint today. My brakes can definitely be replaced though. Tomorrow I'm doing my brakes and going to remove my front driveshaft to further inspect.

1994 XJ with an obvious dana 30 front.

The jeep gets rough while driving. Not just the steering wheel but basically the entire jeep has vibrations. Seems to be from the front axle. And the clicks started only a few days ago. But the vibrations followed not too long afterwards. I have it up on all jack stands right now. Can't do much more today. So going to tackle it again tomorrow. Any advice I should keep in mind? Thanks!!

There is no play in the front driveshaft what so ever.

I did want to note this.

With all 4 wheels in the air. And the jeep in 4WD I notice that the driver side axle shaft where the u joint is "spins a bit sloppy" as compared to the passenger side. Would this bit of slop while spinning be normal?

Back