• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OIL pressure sender please

pierrexj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I´m trying ti figure out wich oil pressure sender unit will fit my 99 XJ, I don't live in the States ,it might be an "export" model if such thing exists.
I bought what the catalog said it should fit (Mopar V-3C sending unit)but they tell me here it won't fit,could any of you guys tell me if the connector on this picture is the one for the oil sender ?
Thanks in advance
pierrexj

The one in your picture looks more like a 1990 unit, not 1999. Look it up on the rockauto.com catalog. You'll find the one matches the connector you're holding. Don't know if they ship to SA but you'll have a good part number.

If you really DO have a 99, from what I understand is: that the 99 year motor was a one year only... although it IS a I6 like all the others, there ARE subtle differences, most are simple like sensors and stuff, others are more complex. I had to replace my Oil Pressure Sending Unit a number of years ago, simple procedure, just gotta get the right part, I guess I lucked out.

Oh,yes the sender in the pic is not the right one ,it shows pressure but the needle it's always on the middle ,that's why I want to change it, the mechanic told me that but it was already installed when I bought it. VIN number confirms it's a 99 model and made in Canada

Photo shows a standard 99 sender wire. The sender shown installed looks wrong, as others have pointed out. Although there are two connectors in the plug, I think only one conductor is used.

The Renix (92 and up, with 91 a bit of a dark horse) system uses senders backward from the previous (and usual) type for oil pressure and temp. If in any doubt about what kind you have, disconnect the sender. Assuming the wiring is good, later types will pin the meter with sender UN-plugged (open) and go to zero when shorted, while older Renix types will pin it with sender wire shorted to ground and go to zero when disconnected.

Well the US 99 oil pressure sensor is a 3 wire due to the introduction of the JTec+ and the oil pressure sensor was kept that way through 01. But I'm fairly sure the 99 over seas still had the Jtec (97-98) and uses a 96-98 oil pressure sensor.

Good catch, Starion.

Doing a little more looking, I think that sender would be specific to 98s and apparently 99 exports; it's definitely not a 97 connector, but it doesn't look to be a 3 wire connector either.

If that's really the case, 56031005 should be the part number. Google the part number and look at pictures.

(I had an 85 Turbo back in the day. I miss that car sometimes.)

Last edited:
Thank you guys,you sure know your XJ's... looks like 99 it´s a tricky year, I´ll try the 56031005 two wire sender that semms to fit my connector.
Something about this truck you guys might find interesting cause you don't see many around, is that ,even if it was an aftermarket job, this one is ballistically armored , wich adds around 400 pounds to it´s original weight, with window glasses more than an inch thick

Wow, that is really interesting.

Yeah, you don't see many around, armored cars are cheaper here than in the States, I love XJ's and some guy who owned me money offered me this truck instead, since I love XJ's I kept it ,it's good for my small business if maybe I have to go to the bank or make or collect some payment, remember I live in Southamerica ,it makes me or peolpe who work with me, feel safer,actually a couple of years ago we got shot in the windshield (had to replace it obviously) but the bullet didn't go thorugh the glass, I have a pic of that somewhere..

That is very cool, but also very unnerving.

It sure is, I might tell about it her like something "casual" but it sure leaves you kind of scared,you really never think it would happen to you until it does,oat the time I thought glad I had that car andbecause of that better happening to me than to the next guy..

Back