• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking power steering fluid.

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
Im almost 100% sure that is leaking power steering fluid, the leakage is right under the container for the fluid. So I have a few questions. How much does it hold in the first place? It looks as it its leaking a lot, but I have not yet noticed and difficulty steering and the cap shows that its not low yet.

And where can it be leaking from?

Im about to refil it and see if I noticed the fill line go down over night. 93 sport, 4.0 I6.

Best case is that it's leaking, seeping from low pressure return. Clamp it.

Next best case, leaking from hi pressure hose, replace haos and o-rings and bleed it.

Worst case, and not really all that bad, is to replace the whole pump. Flush the system, Make sure everything is tight. Use Power Steering Fluid...not tranny fluid.

There is an O-ring between the pump and the reservoir that has caused me no end of grief.

There is an O-ring between the pump and the reservoir that has caused me no end of grief.

I had that O-ring cause leaks on my lexus, seems something that is often over looked and a good thing to replace while doing any work.

Same here. Replacing the o-ring there fixed it for me.

the o-ring on mine actually wore a small groove where it normally sat. leaked like a siv. new o-ring helped but only when i used 2 o-rings did it stop leaking completely.

if you haven't noticed a drop in fluid level, and you've got an automatic transmission, check your trans. fluid too. I've seen the trans. cooler line leak in about that spot and look like a steering leak.

One other thought is if you have a K&N and oiled it recently... too much oiling will make it look like you have a fluid leak. Had that happen to me once. It was parked on a white floor and was leaking red fluid. I thought that it was transmission fluid. It was just too much K&N fluid.

The day I posted this was the only day I saw leakage, ever since then there hasnt been a drop of anything and all the fluid levels are up. I'll keep an eye on it.

I just hit 200k and will probably just start replacing small things like that. It'll only do it good.

Back